Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Revelation

Every once in a while, a thought just bursts upon the brain with very little warning. Sort of like a missile honing in on it's target. You are standing there, thinking the usual miscellaneous and totally random thoughts, when you suddenly become aware of a little red laser dot flickering close by, you hear the incoming whine, and........BAM! It hits you.

It was like that this morning. I was giving myself modest congratulations for having lost a little weight while "doing my time," here in The Big House. I had been thinking how if I had retained a mere 5 extra pounds after each pregnancy, I would now be 50 pounds overweight.

I have struggled and struggled over the years through much deprivation, a gazillion diets, numerous supplements (the efficacy of which are in doubt) not to mention walking, weightlifting, walking.....etc. Sometimes efforts have been successful, sometimes not. But always, ALWAYS the struggle.

And then I made a calculation I had never dared...... "Let's see, with each pregnancy I gained approximately 50 pounds........times 10 full term pregnancies.......(put down the zero....1x5---I was never terribly quick in math----) that means, I have gained 500 pounds over my lifetime!!" *clunk*

When I came to, I realized it easily could have been more. Toward the end of Trevor's pregnancy, I had stopped weighing myself. When going for the dreaded prenatal checkup, I got to the point where I just stepped on the scale backwards and admonished the nurse, "Don't say the weight out loud. Just write it down on my chart. Ver-y qui-et-ly.

And now I find myself within 5-10 pounds of where I wish to be. At 46, this is pretty nigh close to anorexic. I have wondered wherein the answer lies.

Probably being away from my own kitchen helps. The restriction of only eating in the dining room has also been good for me. (With the exception of occasional dips of ice cream carried up in cups. Beverages are allowed, and as we all know, ice cream is just beverage, awaiting it's potential. And chocolate. Chocolate is another example of a beverage in the dormant state)

At home, I ate "diet" food and only seemed to lose weight when I "recalibrated" the scale. But here, we eat normal, full fat items, but in moderation. Whole milk. Real butter. Just not a great deal of each. Satiation of the palate seems to be a good thing.

Can this be continued in the confines and temptations of one's own home? I surely hope so.

'Cause there's a 640 pound woman, just "weighting" to bust out. At any time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Thainamu said...

I can't believe you wrote a whole long post about your weight! This is making me laugh. I can only say that the only time in my life that I was skinny was when we were living in a remote village in the jungle--no stores, no electricity, no oven. It is hard to stay fat when the only thing to eat is boiled sweet potatoes. Oh, and octopus--we have this terrific photo of my husband eating a whole little octopus which shows his ribs practically sticking out through his skin. (All that was fine until I got pregant, but that is a different story...)

1/23/2005 05:08:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Actually, concerning the time, I started working on that just before 12:00 NOON, and remembered to change the numbers, but not the AM to PM.

'Tis now rectified.

(I do NOT stay up that late :-)

1/23/2005 09:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have discovered the French diet! I kid you not. Saw the author of French Women Don't Get Fat: the Secret of Eating for Pleasure, Mireille Guiliano, on tv just a couple of weeks ago. Sounds very similar. Quote: the skills French women use to maintain their weight: Consume three good meals a day, watch portions, eat lots of fruits and vegetables, use seasonings, eat a variety of seasonal foods, drink plenty of water, savor wine, walk everywhere including up and down the stairs, indulge in a treat every once in a while.
the other Nancy

1/24/2005 01:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home