Mission: Totally Possible
Date: Thursday, Sept 1, 2005
Time: Just past O8:00
Location: A large, old farm house, in southwestern Butler County, Iowa
Having just returned from a rejuvenating 2 mile walk, I found the cool morning temperatures to be ideal for the task at hand. I had done my research, see, and knew that "the enemy" would be sluggish in the early a.m. temperatures. (not unlike certain teenagers...) The window of opportunity to strike would only become smaller if I waited much longer.
It was now or never. Well, I'd have to wait until evening, anyway.
I carefully and methodically went over my checklist of materials.
Long-sleeved shirt - check.
Already wearing long pants - check.
Real-Kill (what a lame name) Wasp and Hornet Spray - check.
Old, rickety step-ladder just barely capable of holding one person, safely - check.
I scanned the back of the can to find the modus operandi. Finding them, I took off my glasses so I could actually read the directions. All seemed in order. There was just time for a quick prayer before H-hour.
Throwing a few grass blades into the air, I determined the wind speed and directional flow. Taking one more glance at my victims, I positioned the ladder upwind, and cautioned the two children lucky enough to be witnesses, to, "STAY BACK!"
With the spray can not two feet from the deadly nest, I commenced spraying. A strong jet of white foamy substance spewed forth, with nearly enough force to break a window. THIS WAS THE MOMENT OF TRUTH....
.....The wasps never had a chance. They were dropping like flies. Literally. Except, they weren't flies, of course, but, other than that, they were just dropping like flies. Between 40-50, altogether. Some falling to the ground below, others dropping to the sill, legs up in the air, waving ineffectually.
A grim, but necessary work.
___________________________
A couple of the older children expressed disappointment that they had not been up and about to witness the proceedings. Jason, with his scene-staging outlook on life, commented, "It would have been more interesting if you had waited till later. Then we could have taken the camera out and set up the little kids to look like they were screaming in agony and fear...."
*sigh*
Really, some people have to be SO dramatic. Tweet
Time: Just past O8:00
Location: A large, old farm house, in southwestern Butler County, Iowa
Having just returned from a rejuvenating 2 mile walk, I found the cool morning temperatures to be ideal for the task at hand. I had done my research, see, and knew that "the enemy" would be sluggish in the early a.m. temperatures. (not unlike certain teenagers...) The window of opportunity to strike would only become smaller if I waited much longer.
It was now or never. Well, I'd have to wait until evening, anyway.
I carefully and methodically went over my checklist of materials.
Long-sleeved shirt - check.
Already wearing long pants - check.
Real-Kill (what a lame name) Wasp and Hornet Spray - check.
Old, rickety step-ladder just barely capable of holding one person, safely - check.
I scanned the back of the can to find the modus operandi. Finding them, I took off my glasses so I could actually read the directions. All seemed in order. There was just time for a quick prayer before H-hour.
Throwing a few grass blades into the air, I determined the wind speed and directional flow. Taking one more glance at my victims, I positioned the ladder upwind, and cautioned the two children lucky enough to be witnesses, to, "STAY BACK!"
With the spray can not two feet from the deadly nest, I commenced spraying. A strong jet of white foamy substance spewed forth, with nearly enough force to break a window. THIS WAS THE MOMENT OF TRUTH....
.....The wasps never had a chance. They were dropping like flies. Literally. Except, they weren't flies, of course, but, other than that, they were just dropping like flies. Between 40-50, altogether. Some falling to the ground below, others dropping to the sill, legs up in the air, waving ineffectually.
A grim, but necessary work.
___________________________
A couple of the older children expressed disappointment that they had not been up and about to witness the proceedings. Jason, with his scene-staging outlook on life, commented, "It would have been more interesting if you had waited till later. Then we could have taken the camera out and set up the little kids to look like they were screaming in agony and fear...."
*sigh*
Really, some people have to be SO dramatic. Tweet

The Progeny
4 Comments:
See, it makes life more interesting to think up possible scenarios
Kendra
Egads. Those poor wasps. They were just trying to make it in this cruel world.
Wasps, schmasps.
I never become emotionally attached to anything with a head shaped like a triangle.
"I never become emotionally attached to anything with a head shaped like a triangle."
Well, that just explains everything!!! *scurries off to check mental acuity report
Deb
Post a Comment
<< Home