Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Friday, December 02, 2005

A New Feature!

Are you excited? Oh good, 'cause so am I. Got a great idea while soaking in the tub a few minutes ago. (that, lying in bed and mowing the lawn are where I get all my "great" inspirations)

We are going to institute a new feature, M*R*M*R, or "Ma's Random Musical Review." This is not to be confused with the vaccine of similar acronymity--MMR (measles, mumps, rubella).....though, these reviews will have the capacity to ward of dangerous forms of pseudo musical life.

Occasionally, there may even be something of a positive nature. But frankly, most of them will be of a negative slant, 'cause let's face it....being critical is just--so--much--more--fun.

On the docket for tonight? a little classical ditty I heard on NPR this morning.

It being December, and the Deejay wishing to be seasonally correct, Vivaldi's "Four Seasons," was played....or more specifically, "Winter."

This would have been perfectly fine, except in a fit of whimsey, the man chose for our edification, an arrangement with a trombonist playing the solo parts.

Now, this is a piece requiring an incredible notesy nimbleness. Particularly in the fast movements. I am pretty sure this is why Vivaldi wrote it for STRINGS, instead of the TROMBONE.

Not only were many individual notes indistinguishable, but what could be heard was often out of tune. It sounded like an enraged hornet, stuck in a glass bottle, searching desperately for the exit. I found myself praying he would get out. Either that, or someone would just cork that bottle and put us out of our auditory misery.

I couldn't help but wonder WHY a trombone player would even attempt it. And then those immortal words that Clinton uttered came back to me...."Because I could. "

In my estimation, this trombone player--who shall remain unnamed, since I couldn't find him on Google--made a very poor choice of material.

I'm thinkin' the announcer may have regretted playing it, also.

Well, that's it for this M*R*M*R. Probably no one will even come across this musical oddity. But, if I can spare just ONE person the indignity or emotional pain of hearing this less than artistic endeavor, then my life will not have been wasted.

Man, I feel better already.

I'm gonna hafta do this more often.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home