Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Monday, June 26, 2006

Potpourri

Concerning the title, I would just like to say that I spelled that right, the first time!

*humbly bows*

But mostly, there has collected a hodge-podge-of-stuffs that must be unloaded on the blog, or I will go nuts. Unhappily, there is no theme running through the diverse, yet unrelated items, so I'll just start throwing them out, willy-nilly.

The life of your stay-at-home mom--besides providing multiple opportunities for hyphenated words--requires quick-thinking on many levels. As evidence, I give you two questions posed to me in the last two days....

Trevor (while helping him after his bath): "Do kings wear underwear?"

Loren: "What do you want done with this bat I caught in the basement?"

Is it any wonder mothers start exhibiting strange behavior in their later years? I think I've remained reasonably well-adjusted, all things considered.

But on to the news :-)

Everyone's probably heard of the demoted goat, but CNN's version is the funniest. And I read a whole two or three before coming to that conclusion.

Here's a crossword tale dear to my heart, even if it's not all that funny. I've been "into" crosswords off and on, mostly to stave off boredom and angst in a clinic waiting room, or possibly even to while away the hours chained to the couch nursing a young babe.

Not sure if they offered a degrees in Enigmalogy when I went to school.....

And speaking of my youth, I used to get the weirdest looks from people when they heard I ate peanut butter and marshmallow sandwiches for lunch. At least, that's what we called 'em. It was really a marshmallow creme. And what's more, I feed this to some of my children, even today.

All this is background for a Boston controversy. Their whole problem, as I see it, is one of semantics and/or connotation.

For let's face it....."Marshmallow Fluff" sounds SO much more frivolous than "Marshmallow Creme," which judging by the spelling, undoubtedly came from France.

It's probably even gourmet.

And if a law shall be proposed against marshmallow fluff, than a restraining order against jelly is only a matter of time.

I'm sure you'll agree with me that this requires the vigilant attention of sandwich lovers, everywhere.

Relating to keeping a sharp look-out, anyone traveling in the Los Angeles should be aware of the danger of drunken pelicans.

If that isn't bizarre enough for you, the ever helpful Wilson sent me this link.

It's really hard to think of an appropriate comment to go along with that....

...so maybe I'd better get back to Jason's final transcript. Rumor has it the university would like that before he attends in the fall.
 

3 Comments:

Blogger Thainamu said...

As for Loren's question, I have the answer, although your bat might not be exactly the right species. I actually own this cookbook (p.38), and I lived where they made this soup, though I don't think we were ever offered any. And I was never that good at catching my own.

6/26/2006 01:48:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

OK Linda....some things are just GROSS!

I killed it, even though TECHNICALLY you're not supposed to around here--it being an endangered species and all.

I don't know....*sigh*....there's just something about the possibility of rabies that brings out the worst in me.

6/26/2006 05:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We call them fluffy sandwiches in our house. They were well known around our Northeastern comrads. When we started moving around the country we found no one else knew what fluffy sandwiches were! I loved fluffy sandwiches...can't eat them now but the kids occasionally do.

Deb

6/27/2006 09:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home