Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Life in the Yard

Ugh. I've been sitting in front of this computer all day, going over math and science papers, figuring out grades and adding up credits to make sure everything is hunky-dory for Derek's transcript.

'Tis done :-)

Now I need to go outdoors and reclaim my brain...but first, a few happenings from around the yard:

This is the year that all of my wild prairie roses--gathered from various ditches--have prospered and bloomed.
This one is the most common, pale pink, but I also have a white one and my most coveted, dark pink.

Gotta love the Iowa state flower!

My newest rock garden project includes a little yellow snap dragon.
Once the transplants (hopefully) do their stuff, I'll give a project report.

This year our large plum tree did not leaf out, proving Melinda's theory right...that insects had invaded the trunk. Melinda cleaned out and hung up a goose-neck gourd from last year's crop and hung it up in the dead tree. Then we noticed this bird hanging around....
Melinda did some research and found out our guess of a Common House Wren was right, and that the male fixes up 2 or 3 nests and then sings for a female to come and choose one. This little guy has been singing his heart out, day after day and so far, no takers...

Time for the Purple Coneflowers to start their display.


I lost my Betty Boop rose over winter, but this Morden Blush is still coming back to show it's pretty cream and light pink blooms.


Now...off for some weed pullin' fun...
 

1 Comments:

Blogger tank said...

Poor house wren.

7/09/2008 06:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home