Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Ha Ha Ha on Ma

This will come as a shock to some, but childhood recollections can be faulty.

I discovered this today while reading Lilies of the Field.

It's another one of those thrifty used bargains I picked up...who knows where. Clearly on the outside cover was the statement, "Now a brilliant United Artists release, staring Sidney Poitier."

"Oh yeah," I thought, "We watched that several times on TV, when I was growing up."

So I read and I read and I couldn't figure out why the incredibly beautiful nun with the guitar hadn't come into the story yet, though I did have Sister Albertine pegged as a possibility.

Still, I was baffled. The storyline didn't seem to be going at ALL in the direction I had anticipated. I figured it was another example of how Hollywood had fiddled with the original book to the extent that the end product was unidentifiable.

Or perhaps they'd given it a modern setting. Sorta like Bride and Prejudice, only not so goofy.

And then, I did a wee bit o' research online and found to my immense shame that I'd been thinking of The Singing Nun movie, all along.

It's official: Lilies of the Field and The Singing Nun are not the same storyline or movie. They do both have nuns, however, and no one can take that away from me.

In addition, I have definite memories of watching Sidney Poitier in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, as a child.

At least, I'm pretty sure I did...
 

4 Comments:

Blogger Jared said...

Haha! I was sure when you started talking about guitar-wielding nuns that you were going to say you'd been thinking of "The Sound of Music" (which, incidentally, is entitled "The Rebellious Nun" in Spanish). I guess that would have been way too obvious. I have not seen, or even heard of, "The Singing Nun" . . . but "Lilies of the Field" is good stuff. Poitier won an Oscar for his performance in it (and became the first African American Oscar-winner).

12/02/2009 06:12:00 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Mommy! Strange things are happening on your blog! Your picture went down and Jared's comment above doesn't even show numerically from the main page.

12/03/2009 11:32:00 AM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

It is probably related to one of those conspiracies. There are enough floating around to cover every possibility.

My picture going down isn't necessarily the end of the world, but I didn't do anything.

Oh wait....I think it has something to do with an old photobucket account. The picture is in that archive and I haven't been able to access it for ages because it's related to my old email and it won't let me log into my account, since I can't remember my password and they can only send my password to the old email.

*large breath*

And somehow I'm reminded of a calendar I saw in Menard's, entitled, "My Life is Crap."

12/03/2009 06:51:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Jared, I have seen The Sound of Music SO many times...you don't REALLY think I could confuse it! But now you've given me an idea for writing my own musical: The Rebellious Ma.

And you should look up the history behind The Singing Nun, as it's kinda interesting.

"Dominique-a-nique-a-nique..."

Now there's a song that can run through your head for days.

12/03/2009 07:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home