Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Monday, January 23, 2012

In Which Ma Travels to Iowa City, Again

For the third time in the last four weeks, Ma traveled down to the University of Iowa hospitals, today. This morning was different, however, in that I was able to sleep in until 6:06am! Sure beats the 4:15 wake-up call for Derek's hospitalization, before Christmas.

Carolyn's turn, today. She was due for her six month check-up with the electrophysiologist. Everything turned out pretty well for her appointment, though we had a few rough spots with the travel.

First off, it took until 7:05 for the sun to come up enough to ascertain that the driveway had drifted shut overnight. Not a terrible problem, except I had planned to leave home at 7:15.

My wonderful snow-clearing-son Ethan ran out with a shovel but soon came back saying, "We need the skid-loader!"

And we did. A drift ran clear across the drive the entire length of the 15 passenger van (that would be the blue 15 passenger van and not the white 15 passenger van, and certainly not the mini-van).

I hacked away with a snow shovel until time became so short that I realized if I didn't stop and let Ethan finish it with the skid, there would be no time....and I do mean no time to put on my make up.

I trust you can sense the critical nature of our dilemma.

Soon enough the driveway was cleared for the Green-Dragon-Lady-Lincoln-of-Power to ram her way out through the remaining small drifts. Carolyn and I were on our way, only 10 minutes later than expected.

Once on the black top it was quickly apparent that conditions were icy, dicey and not very nicey (hey...it rhymed).

It was bad stuff. The good snow tires were the only reason I could go anywhere.

There was one incident of fish-tailing as the last of 4 semis passed me going the opposite direction. But I'm happy to say we escaped with only a short burst of adrenaline-induced heart racing on my part.

Carolyn didn't even notice (I mean seriously, what good is performing amazing feats of regaining control on ice, if your kids aren't even going to appreciate that you just saved their life?).

It was tough going on highway 20, though we did manage to get up to 50 mph and pass a few cars that were obviously wanting in the area of snow tires. Several cars in the ditch, including one utility truck lying on its side.

Actually, there were 7-8 cars spun out along the way, even though the roads became less snow covered after Waterloo.

Everything turned out pretty well, however. Arrived safely and almost on time.

Carolyn checkup was fine and she doesn't have to come back for a year, barring something unusual.

We had a great time with the docs. The first one to appear informed us that Drs. L. and VB. were fighting over who got to come and see Carolyn. Now really, these people are the best!

They both came....Dr. L. to chat for a bit and Dr. VB to do the exam. Carolyn ran him through his paces, keeping up with the Hoyt tradition of...well, you'd have to be there.

We had a jolly time. Caroln even said the doctor doing her echo kept laughing at everything she said.

(I'm sensing a marketing opportunity, but for the fact that I'm too old and tired to pursue it).

The weather and lack of sleep prevented Carolyn from doing any driving, but we managed nonetheless to limp back to Waterloo, weak from hunger, with just enough strength to crawl up to the door of Panera Bread and beg, "Please sir, I want soup and salad from 'You Pick 2', and could you donnz-moi une baguette, aussie?

11 1/2 hours after we awoke, we pulled back into the driveway, powering through one drift on our way into the heated garage and sanctuary.

And now it is 11:17pm and once again dark. The kids are in bed, the groceries put away, the school plans set out for tomorrow, and three miles completed on the treadmill.

All that awaits is the laundry to fold and the eating of my special, Honeycrisp apple.

Then this little Ma is heading for bed.
 

3 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Wow Mommy, you don't take a day off your workouts, do you? I would have given you an exemption for yesterday.

1/24/2012 11:25:00 AM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Except, I usually take off Sunday, and I didn't want to take off two days in a row...SO I got in two miles on Sunday night, 3 on Monday, and that means I only have to make up 2 miles over the course of the week to still get in my minimum of 42 (7 miles per day for 6 days).

If that makes any sense...

1/24/2012 02:24:00 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Yes it makes sense... You're dedicated Mommy! 42 miles YIKES! That number scares even me, 'cause when I was running the most (and therefore covering the most distance) I don't think I got much over 40 miles a week.

1/24/2012 07:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home