Warmer and Warmer
Ah, spring.
The sound of blackbirds cackling in the trees; the whistle of a warm wind through the pines; and that special music coming from snow tires running on 75 degree roads.
Winter is past! In fact, it hardly even was.
School-wise we had a not-too-bad day. In other words, just short of miraculous.
Well, except for that one spot right before lunch when I had to make peace over how much extra cheese would be put in the macaroni-n-cheese (Trevor was ticked, since it was a "no extra cheese" day--but we made an exception for Derek being here--so Trevor confiscated the pack of cheese into the living room....)
There were two other instances of complete unfairness, but I can't remember what they revolved around. They seemed quite dire at the time. It reinforces the reality that a seemingly inordinate amount of my day is spent keeping a lid on things of little import.
Sorta like being a waste management engineer except you don't get paid.
In other volunteer news, I went over to the local park and pruned back two burning bushes in the beds I help maintain.
There were a lot of people enjoying the warm weather. Against my better judgement, I agreed to take Ethan, Nolan, and Trevor with me, so they could run around like crazy people on the playground. At the last minute I declined their request to take a real baseball, figuring if anyone was there it could turn out to be potentially hazardous.
Ethan spent almost the whole time reading a book.
There were loud screams coming from the playground equipment but several checks on my part determined that they were: a)not from my kids, and b)not caused by my kids doing something to other kids.
I think Nolan enjoyed himself quite wonderfully. He loves to play with other children and is actually incredibly nice and cooperative with them.
(there's a lesson here, somewhere...)
I only got in 1.25 hours but it sure was great to be out working on gardeny things.
I went out to my own garden yesterday but there was little to inspire me. However I will have to start clearing and planting early crops, soon. And I did see that at least 4 of my new trees, heeled in last November, are starting to sprout. The Arbor Day Foundation promised they would replace any that did not live and I certainly plan to hold them to that promise. Particularly as they exercised absurd timing by shipping them around Thanksgiving.
Should replant them any time but must get more fencing to hold off the varmints, first.
_______________
As for tomorrow, Derek heads back to Texas. We would appreciate prayers for a safe journey. Looks like he will be traveling through a fair amount of rain, again. He drove all the way up on Sunday through rain, too.
But I'm pretty sure March rain is better than March snow :-)
Tweet
The sound of blackbirds cackling in the trees; the whistle of a warm wind through the pines; and that special music coming from snow tires running on 75 degree roads.
Winter is past! In fact, it hardly even was.
School-wise we had a not-too-bad day. In other words, just short of miraculous.
Well, except for that one spot right before lunch when I had to make peace over how much extra cheese would be put in the macaroni-n-cheese (Trevor was ticked, since it was a "no extra cheese" day--but we made an exception for Derek being here--so Trevor confiscated the pack of cheese into the living room....)
There were two other instances of complete unfairness, but I can't remember what they revolved around. They seemed quite dire at the time. It reinforces the reality that a seemingly inordinate amount of my day is spent keeping a lid on things of little import.
Sorta like being a waste management engineer except you don't get paid.
In other volunteer news, I went over to the local park and pruned back two burning bushes in the beds I help maintain.
There were a lot of people enjoying the warm weather. Against my better judgement, I agreed to take Ethan, Nolan, and Trevor with me, so they could run around like crazy people on the playground. At the last minute I declined their request to take a real baseball, figuring if anyone was there it could turn out to be potentially hazardous.
Ethan spent almost the whole time reading a book.
There were loud screams coming from the playground equipment but several checks on my part determined that they were: a)not from my kids, and b)not caused by my kids doing something to other kids.
I think Nolan enjoyed himself quite wonderfully. He loves to play with other children and is actually incredibly nice and cooperative with them.
(there's a lesson here, somewhere...)
I only got in 1.25 hours but it sure was great to be out working on gardeny things.
I went out to my own garden yesterday but there was little to inspire me. However I will have to start clearing and planting early crops, soon. And I did see that at least 4 of my new trees, heeled in last November, are starting to sprout. The Arbor Day Foundation promised they would replace any that did not live and I certainly plan to hold them to that promise. Particularly as they exercised absurd timing by shipping them around Thanksgiving.
Should replant them any time but must get more fencing to hold off the varmints, first.
_______________
As for tomorrow, Derek heads back to Texas. We would appreciate prayers for a safe journey. Looks like he will be traveling through a fair amount of rain, again. He drove all the way up on Sunday through rain, too.
But I'm pretty sure March rain is better than March snow :-)
Tweet

The Progeny
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home