Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Sense of Today's Doin's

Well folks, it's hot out there!

But not for long, say the hallowed halls of weatherdom. Our next cool spell might last into August.

Carolyn and Ethan are off detasseling...for how long I do not know.

Yesterday they worked in the heat until after 2:30, starting a new field in case "the health lady" made them stop early, today.

I say, "Yay for the health lady!" in the sense that she might pull teens and young adults from a hot, hot, situation. Not sure about the company that had them work longer in yesterday's heat....but Ethan thinks they are pretty good people so I'll assume the best.

After returning home at 4pm, Ethan went up to the roof for more (and perhaps, hotter?) work on the house. Both he and Carolyn were plenty tuckered out, come evening. Carolyn regularly dozes off on the couch ever since detasseling started.

As for today, Nolan and I polished off a small section of lawn. Only 35 minutes but still plenty sweaty, considering the heat advisory. I believe it's now been cancelled for our county, in the sense that we're 3 miles north of a labelled county.

Speaking of heat, upon mowing's completion I glanced up and saw Loren up on the roof, with his faithful helper, Trevor. Usually Trevor wears a white shirt for this "job" but today he was dressed in black T-shirt and jeans.

I don't think he's gonna do that again. When I suggested he come in and change, he did so, grabbed a drink, hit the restroom and almost passed out, afterward.

This is the second time something like this has happened. So I have to impress on him not to stand up too quickly. Particularly after working in a heat advisory with non-reflective clothing. This kid is small, with no fat, and no hedge for quick changes in blood pressure.

Removed his shirt, gave him fluids, had Nolan position a fan on him and within 45 minutes he had transitioned from the visage of a pale flounder, back to his perky, smirky self. Even so, I decided to keep him indoors for a while.

Loren is out on the roof again. That man is driven. Guess I'll have to post a few pictures, soon.

Oh yes. One other thing: I heard the buzz of cicadas, yesterday at dusk. Buzzing cicadas, in the sense of that ephemeral,  "where did the summer go?" melancholy.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home