Mayo Report
Loren saw the nurse-practitioner who specializes in heart failure patients this morning. (she is quite knowledgeable and is a good sub for the cardiologist) In general, he has been feeling some better these past two or three weeks, and the labs and tests correspond with this assessment. Actually, a better way of putting it might be to say that he has not felt as terrible as sometimes. We are told these ups and downs are par for the course in this situation. He still needs a transplant, but it is nice to have a couple of bearable weeks.
We found out a little more as to his status on the transplant list. I have referred in the past to an "A" and "B" list. The more correct way to designate would be with three categories: 1a, 1b, and 2. Loren is a "2," which means he is being treated with oral medication only. People on the "2" list have a fairly long wait, 2-5 years, and often aren't transplanted until being moved up in status. Those on "1b," have one IV drip for heart failure. While initially hospitalized with start of IV, they usually return home to wait and are often transplanted within a year. The extremely critical patients are classified 1a, hospitalized with multiple IV's, sometimes with a vent, balloon pump, etc.
Mayo shares organs with two other facilities. When a donor organ becomes available, they check through all three hospitals' lists, starting with the 1a's and moving down, looking for a match in size, tissue and blood type, etc. Obviously, the 1a's and 1b's are going to be transplanted first, as they should be. If Loren had felt today as badly as he had two months ago, he would have been "strongly encouraged" to take the next step up, to 1b. But that will be delayed at present. It is a bit of a delicate matter. One doesn't want to rush into something, but the situation should not be allowed to deteriorate to the point of jeopardizing a good outcome for the operation. We've been told it is usually readily apparent when a bump up in status is needed. We shall simply have to trust in God's timing and that we will be aware enough to follow His lead.
Enough medical stuff! A person can only stand so much sometimes.
I was able to get in my walk around the mile after returning home today. I have noticed a V of geese now and again, flying low over the fields, heading south or southwest. I was reminded of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, where she described their haunting call. It made me want to walk just a little faster. It conjured up some indefinable yearning, deep inside. It caused me to remember I hadn't had breakfast yet. Okay, but I STILL felt a certain kinship with Laura, until I realized I had been walking around in circles (well, squares) all summer, just to get exercise. But, if one ignores all the differences, such as widespread land developement, technological advances, and the fact that I wear pants most of the time, there must be SOMETHING we have in common........the call of the wild honkers, I guess. (Now, let's not be flying directly overhead, fellas)
Tweet
We found out a little more as to his status on the transplant list. I have referred in the past to an "A" and "B" list. The more correct way to designate would be with three categories: 1a, 1b, and 2. Loren is a "2," which means he is being treated with oral medication only. People on the "2" list have a fairly long wait, 2-5 years, and often aren't transplanted until being moved up in status. Those on "1b," have one IV drip for heart failure. While initially hospitalized with start of IV, they usually return home to wait and are often transplanted within a year. The extremely critical patients are classified 1a, hospitalized with multiple IV's, sometimes with a vent, balloon pump, etc.
Mayo shares organs with two other facilities. When a donor organ becomes available, they check through all three hospitals' lists, starting with the 1a's and moving down, looking for a match in size, tissue and blood type, etc. Obviously, the 1a's and 1b's are going to be transplanted first, as they should be. If Loren had felt today as badly as he had two months ago, he would have been "strongly encouraged" to take the next step up, to 1b. But that will be delayed at present. It is a bit of a delicate matter. One doesn't want to rush into something, but the situation should not be allowed to deteriorate to the point of jeopardizing a good outcome for the operation. We've been told it is usually readily apparent when a bump up in status is needed. We shall simply have to trust in God's timing and that we will be aware enough to follow His lead.
Enough medical stuff! A person can only stand so much sometimes.
I was able to get in my walk around the mile after returning home today. I have noticed a V of geese now and again, flying low over the fields, heading south or southwest. I was reminded of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, where she described their haunting call. It made me want to walk just a little faster. It conjured up some indefinable yearning, deep inside. It caused me to remember I hadn't had breakfast yet. Okay, but I STILL felt a certain kinship with Laura, until I realized I had been walking around in circles (well, squares) all summer, just to get exercise. But, if one ignores all the differences, such as widespread land developement, technological advances, and the fact that I wear pants most of the time, there must be SOMETHING we have in common........the call of the wild honkers, I guess. (Now, let's not be flying directly overhead, fellas)
Tweet

The Progeny
3 Comments:
Hello, Mrs. Hoyt. You don't know me, but I saw your link on Ardith's blog. She doesn't know me either, except I'm the old Auntie that posts on a forum where she also posts.
1. Your husband must be named Loren? Good name, one of our sons has that for a middle name. I've prayed for Loren at times, though I didn't know his name, seeing Ardith's concern.
2. I have a blog too. It is kind of fun for us old ladies to see what the kids are up to. I'm much older than you, but even us oldies can do it. About a year ago I decided to create own personal website as a way to deal with my midlife crisis and the sadness of having all my kids away at college. (http://home.comcast.net/~linda.simons/) It was fun to do, and a great way to share family photos. (My favorite comment was from one of my son's college friends: "I wish my mom had a website.") After the website, I started two blogs--one to keep family posted about general news, and the other to complain, muse, pray, or just talk to myself.
3. My kids think my blogging is silly, but they know they've done something worthwhile if it ends up on the blog.
Keep it up!
Linda, we appreciate anyone's prayers, whether we know them or not. Besides, now you are bookmarked!
I checked out your bird list. We have several Western Meadowlarks around here, whose call I enjoy almost as much as my Three Tenors CD
Safe? I'm about as safe as they come. Thanks for stopping by my website and leaving a comment. (I need to get back to my birdwatching again, but I broke my binoculars.) I update my website whenever I have new family photos or when I feel extra energetic, which isn't often. If you ever want to read my blog, which I try to update 2-3 times a week, you are welcome, but I'll warn you, sometimes I use it as a place to electronically complain when I can't get anyone to listen to me IRL--don't you love all those internet acronyms? (http://thainamu.blogspot.com/)
I'm older than you by about 5 years--but hey, we're both young in spirit if we have blogs, huh? You have to stay young because you still have young kids, I believe. My youngest is 20 and has graduated from college already. We've twice taken in foreign exchange students, but currently we don't have any extras in the house. Wait, let me take that back. The doorbell just rang and it was 4-year old Michael from Africa (his dad is attending Dallas seminary) who has discovered we have an endless supply of cookies at our house.
Post a Comment
<< Home