Last of the Summer Wine, Metaphorically Speaking
Labor Day. The last day of freedom before school starts.
The kids were creating quite a ruckus in the computer room this morning with their multi-player game of X-Pilot. Screams of glee and howls of protest as pilot after pilot bit the dust. "I need more deflector shields!" You would have thought James T. Kirk was back on the bridge of the Enterprise. "Live it up, while you can, guys, " I cajoled on my way to the laundry. "School starts tomorrow." (smirk, smirk) Ah, school. That special time of year when restricted computer game time goes into effect
I am happy to report that I spent my time more profitably, organizing all the kids' books for school. I had to pull out each student's texts from the carefully arranged sections of Math, English, etc. and give them each their own little space. But first I left them out in nice tall stacks where the kids could wander in and exclaim, "I have to do all that?!" "Mmm, yes, except for the Spanish I forgot to tell you about." Man, what a feeling of power.
In the best tradition of Labor Day, we managed to work in a small cookout around 1 :30. This was followed by a surprise viewing of episode IV of Star Wars. I don't let the kids watch it too often, so they were somewhat shocked when I acquiesced to their joking query. Every condemned child deserves one last day of fun, I always say.
Tomorrow will be half actual schoolwork, half orientation activities. The filing away of last year's work, the filling of notebooks with fresh, clean paper, and the most important decision: which color tab to use for which subject in their three ring binders. Hopefully, I can get them all started on their various math books while I go round, one by one and help figure out how many pages per subject per day. The goal is to finish before "The Lone Ranger," which comes on at 5 now, instead of 4. (goody! and extra hour for academics!) Oh yes, somewhere in there I have to get groceries. A two and a half hour job, at best. Frozen pizza is starting to look pretty good for supper.
Well, between curriculum organization and blogging I have worked my way through "The Three Tenors Live" not one, not two, but three whole times. Even the little kids are starting to hum excerpts. I should probably give these opera singers a rest and the kids some supper. (wonders what would happen if played "Songs of the Humpback Whale.")
Ciao, for now.
Tweet
The kids were creating quite a ruckus in the computer room this morning with their multi-player game of X-Pilot. Screams of glee and howls of protest as pilot after pilot bit the dust. "I need more deflector shields!" You would have thought James T. Kirk was back on the bridge of the Enterprise. "Live it up, while you can, guys, " I cajoled on my way to the laundry. "School starts tomorrow." (smirk, smirk) Ah, school. That special time of year when restricted computer game time goes into effect
I am happy to report that I spent my time more profitably, organizing all the kids' books for school. I had to pull out each student's texts from the carefully arranged sections of Math, English, etc. and give them each their own little space. But first I left them out in nice tall stacks where the kids could wander in and exclaim, "I have to do all that?!" "Mmm, yes, except for the Spanish I forgot to tell you about." Man, what a feeling of power.
In the best tradition of Labor Day, we managed to work in a small cookout around 1 :30. This was followed by a surprise viewing of episode IV of Star Wars. I don't let the kids watch it too often, so they were somewhat shocked when I acquiesced to their joking query. Every condemned child deserves one last day of fun, I always say.
Tomorrow will be half actual schoolwork, half orientation activities. The filing away of last year's work, the filling of notebooks with fresh, clean paper, and the most important decision: which color tab to use for which subject in their three ring binders. Hopefully, I can get them all started on their various math books while I go round, one by one and help figure out how many pages per subject per day. The goal is to finish before "The Lone Ranger," which comes on at 5 now, instead of 4. (goody! and extra hour for academics!) Oh yes, somewhere in there I have to get groceries. A two and a half hour job, at best. Frozen pizza is starting to look pretty good for supper.
Well, between curriculum organization and blogging I have worked my way through "The Three Tenors Live" not one, not two, but three whole times. Even the little kids are starting to hum excerpts. I should probably give these opera singers a rest and the kids some supper. (wonders what would happen if played "Songs of the Humpback Whale.")
Ciao, for now.
Tweet

The Progeny
2 Comments:
Here at college I designate colors according to how much I think I'll enjoy the class. For example, College Geometry gets blue--my favorite color while purple, a mediocre color went to another class (I think my education one._
Colors not withstanding, I am extremely frustrated since the blog I worked on for Sept 7 refuses to post. Blogger status mentioned something about a bug they introduced and will have fixed shortly. (see, this is why I still sorta hate computers)
Post a Comment
<< Home