First Day of Captivity
We have made it through the first morning :-) Have just returned from Loren's first 10 minute walk down the halls. He'll rest up a bit, and then we'll go down for some lunch.
This facility started out as one of those grand old houses from the "something hundreds." It was owned by a doctor from Mayo, and he donated it to be used as a guest house for transplantees. It has been added on to, with what looks like dormitory style housing. But it is very pleasant, better than dorm rooms I've been in. Actually, the bathroom is almost as big as some of your dorm rooms! Several shelves just to accomadate all the pill bottles.
But the old section of this house has a grand fireplace that should look quite elegant when dressed in Christmas trappings. There is also a library room done in the old style, with books going up all the walls, large overstuffed chairs, dark woods, etc.
I guess if you have to live some place away from home, this is as good as any, and better than many.
Next week will bring appointments on Mon, Wed, and Friday. As usual, one reports in fasting state early in the morning, gets bloodwork done, and then proceeds to all the other appointments. They have to keep close tabs on the transplant patients. It's not that unusual to end up back in the hospital for a few days, within the first month of transplant.
Loren would feel better if he could just rid himself of the headache pain. They have prescribed a baby aspirin every day, for overall heart health, and that actually helps a bit. He also has pain around his ribs, from having them moved in the operation, and especially his left side, where he had to lay for an hour having that last echo done. I don't think the incisions hurt that much any more. He has seven nice scars if you count the main chest one, the three to take out his device from various places, and the three small ones from his gall bladder surgery back in late summer.
He was dozing in the recliner earlier, and it was astounding to look at him and realize he has a new heart, and none of that electrical equipment in there to jump start it any more. I was kidding him in the hospital, "Hey, you probably have a better heart than ME, now."
On our walk, we discovered one of the five "day rooms," which was empty of people. It has a large TV, videos, books, and two computers with a printer. So, though we didn't bring along a printer, we still have acess to one. It's not as though we have to stay up late, working on papers to hand in the next day. (man, am I glad that part of my life is over :-)
I have been introduced to the mysteries of the sanitizer in the kitchen, and the location of the dumpster out back for the trash. Though, the latter required asking three people and having someone show me before I got it right. I guess most of the new people have to go through this. Everyone is very kind and helpful and friendly. It's just a little overwhelming.
This afternoon I plan on breaking away from here to go to Wal-Mart for some more items. I always feel at home at Wal-Mart.
I've just had a grand inspiration! I think I will arrange a sychronized time for the kids to go to their Wal-mart, and me to go to this Wal-Mart, and then we will all close our eyes, hum, and think familial shoppingish thoughts.
Or, we could just have one of our family chats tomorrow (Sun) afternoon. What say ye, guys?
Tweet
This facility started out as one of those grand old houses from the "something hundreds." It was owned by a doctor from Mayo, and he donated it to be used as a guest house for transplantees. It has been added on to, with what looks like dormitory style housing. But it is very pleasant, better than dorm rooms I've been in. Actually, the bathroom is almost as big as some of your dorm rooms! Several shelves just to accomadate all the pill bottles.
But the old section of this house has a grand fireplace that should look quite elegant when dressed in Christmas trappings. There is also a library room done in the old style, with books going up all the walls, large overstuffed chairs, dark woods, etc.
I guess if you have to live some place away from home, this is as good as any, and better than many.
Next week will bring appointments on Mon, Wed, and Friday. As usual, one reports in fasting state early in the morning, gets bloodwork done, and then proceeds to all the other appointments. They have to keep close tabs on the transplant patients. It's not that unusual to end up back in the hospital for a few days, within the first month of transplant.
Loren would feel better if he could just rid himself of the headache pain. They have prescribed a baby aspirin every day, for overall heart health, and that actually helps a bit. He also has pain around his ribs, from having them moved in the operation, and especially his left side, where he had to lay for an hour having that last echo done. I don't think the incisions hurt that much any more. He has seven nice scars if you count the main chest one, the three to take out his device from various places, and the three small ones from his gall bladder surgery back in late summer.
He was dozing in the recliner earlier, and it was astounding to look at him and realize he has a new heart, and none of that electrical equipment in there to jump start it any more. I was kidding him in the hospital, "Hey, you probably have a better heart than ME, now."
On our walk, we discovered one of the five "day rooms," which was empty of people. It has a large TV, videos, books, and two computers with a printer. So, though we didn't bring along a printer, we still have acess to one. It's not as though we have to stay up late, working on papers to hand in the next day. (man, am I glad that part of my life is over :-)
I have been introduced to the mysteries of the sanitizer in the kitchen, and the location of the dumpster out back for the trash. Though, the latter required asking three people and having someone show me before I got it right. I guess most of the new people have to go through this. Everyone is very kind and helpful and friendly. It's just a little overwhelming.
This afternoon I plan on breaking away from here to go to Wal-Mart for some more items. I always feel at home at Wal-Mart.
I've just had a grand inspiration! I think I will arrange a sychronized time for the kids to go to their Wal-mart, and me to go to this Wal-Mart, and then we will all close our eyes, hum, and think familial shoppingish thoughts.
Or, we could just have one of our family chats tomorrow (Sun) afternoon. What say ye, guys?
Tweet

The Progeny
4 Comments:
I say YES!
OK! That makes one..... :-)
That goes for me too!
Kendra
That goes for me too!
Kendra
Post a Comment
<< Home