Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Sunday, December 05, 2004

Hmmmmmmm

Who said Sunday was a day of rest?

At breakfast we received a called from Kendra, citing three victims of an unknown malady. Three sore throats, two fevers, one croupy cough, ("and a partridge in a pear tree.") After a bit of back and forth on the cell phones, it was determined that all would stay home from church today. If three were coming down, the rest would soon follow. "Stay home, and you and Grandpa can go into town and use the coin dryers" (she had several loads, saved up)

(By the way, Pastor John, none of the family will be in church today :-) Hope we didn't mess up the Christmas Program practice too badly, Sarah. (Ethan said it's ok if you give his part of Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer to one of the other children)

Loren was scheduled for his first IV infusion of the Cyto-Gam this morning at 11:30. I distinctly remember inquiring of a nurse just how long this would take. "Fifty minutes," was the reply.

It took TWO and a HALF HOURS! Good thing I didn't have to go to the little girl's room.

The nurse guided us down a hall with rooms on each side. In each room was a hospital bed with IV pole beside. "Hmmmm," I am thinking. "I thought this was a simple thing......"

We were taken to Loren's assigned room, complete with TV. "Hmmmm," I thought. Luckily, I had the amazing foresight to bring along two bottles of water and a bag of Dove's. (I can give them up anytime, really)

After some reviewing of history, chart, etc. a nurse came in to find an IV site on Loren. He has quite a collection of poke marks on his right arm, since his left one has uncooperative veins. She put a tourniquet on his right arm to test the veins. "Hmmmmmmm." She ended up putting it in his right hand.

After all that, I decided to get comfy and made Loren shift over so I could crawl in, complete with water bottles and chocolate. After finding nothing exciting on Fox News, we settled on the Hallmark station, where a nice, maudlin Christmas movie was just commencing. John Denver. "Well, we won't be seeing the end of it, anyway." The nurse laughed. "You'll be here a good two hours, by my guess." Hmmmmmmm.

So we settled in for the movie, drug dripping happily, chocolate stashed between us. For those of you who have never seen a John Denver movie, ...........where was I?

The cell phone rang again, with Kendra reporting that Carolyn not only had a fever of 102.6, but had chills, backache, and it hurt to go to the bathroom. Sounded like a recurrence of that bladder infection. I made a mental note of calling for an appointment for her on Monday. But after consulting with the nurse at hand, I called back and said, "You'd better get Grandpa and take her into the ER and have it checked out. Leave within the hour."

*wait, wait, wait.(John Denver saves Jake's farm, the day, and gets the girl)*

*finish IV, get back, eat lunch at 3:00, wait some more*

But the report was negative, no bacterial infection. The doctor thought it was a virus. So, THAT is a relief. I guess Kendra is getting lots of experience in various matters of health and home.

The Moody radio station is playing the Messiah. Hmmmm. Sounds like a student production to me. *turns down volume while making mental note to stop being so discriminating*

*SNEEZES* (gasp) *sprays copious amounts of disinfectant aerosol*

So, how was your Sunday?

3 Comments:

Blogger mechcanoer said...

Pretty good, but probably not as exciting as yours. I just put alot of miles driving home every Sunday.

12/05/2004 11:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Weavers went to church (helped with a couple of numbers with soprano recorder) hurried home to meet grandchildren, then took them to a Christmas concert at Meredith College. Their mom and dad got back from way out east in time to put their kids to bed about 8 p.m. Quite the day--no IVs, just good food and times.

12/06/2004 08:42:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

I don't always go way back, but today I did.

Some of the more sophisticated blogs have a section that lists the most recent comments, no matter how far back they appear in posts.

But this free blog site does not allow that.

Another reason I am glad I checked, is to see WEAVER'S comment :-) These are some dear folk who were the sponsors for my youth group back in the "good old days." Course, there are a lot of good days, now, too.

Welcome, Weavers :-)

12/08/2004 04:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home