Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Waiting and Watching

Anticipation. That watchful attitude as time slowly slips by, knowing with a calm certainty that soon, very soon, events will converge to bring about the awaited action.

I waited, I watched, and then, when the sun had dipped sufficiently low in the sky, I turned on the overhead light. The fatal flip of the light switch took place at exactly 3:04 p.m. Luckily for me, it was a cloudy day, or the exciting moment of switch flipping could have been as late as 3:47. Possibly even 3:38

Speaking of clouds, it has been overcast here, I would say, 6 out of every 7 days. There was one day, a week ago, when the sun did shine, for several hours in a row. I took advantage of this tenuous light and took a long and lovely walk out-of-doors.

As often happens on these excursions, I wandered over to the hills in back of St. Mary's Hospital. They provide a good workout, and are the birthplace of some beautiful, old homes with pleasing architectural design. I love to go among these picturesque homes, admiring their stately form and grace, and waiting for that "one in a million" chance , when someone pops open their door and says, "I've been looking for someone who appreciates stately architectural form and grace, to will my inheritance to. Here, take this 5000 buckaroos."

Granted, this hasn't happened yet, but there are still 3 more days.

ANYWAY, a small incident actually did occur while I was out walking that beautiful sunny afternoon. I was glorying in the antidepressant rays of the sun, and attempting to avoid cars on their way home from work. One car I had safely crossed in front of, circled around and drove past me on another corner. I politely waited. The passenger rolled down his window and pretended to sneeze VERY loudly in my direction. In a town such as Rochester, I assume this was an attempt at biological warfare. But, seeing as I was safely back from the "sneeze zone," I simply ignored him and turned the other nostril.

Each new day brings a little more self-control.
________________

Tomorrow promises a break from the routine. We shall leave our humdrum room where we sit and watch TV, to visit the infusion clinic to recline and watch TV. It is once again time for a CytoGam treatment. Takes 3 to 3 1/2 hours from start to finish. The big perk being that Loren gets an IV jab to the arm or hand. These hurt more than the normal blood draw because when they prepare to put fluid into you, they use a bigger needle. Hopefully, he won't get the same nurse as last time. We can bring a video tape if we wish. Water bottles and chocolate are mandatory.

Watchfully yours, "Ma."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home