JUST when you think things are comfortably dull.....

.....a little excitement flares up.
Sorry to annoy y'all three times in one day, but really, when breaking news occurs, Ma posts.
So anyway, Ethan, Carolyn and I had been putting the spades to work when Kendra alerted us to some smoke in the nearby field. Our favorite farmer was out of his combine and kicking at some smoldering bits of stuff in the dirt....."Come on, Ethan! Grab a shovel. We gotta help him!"
There was just enough wind, and a faulty bearing in the combine to...uh....combine to make a "situation." We trotted over to the field (it is far enough, one cannot run) by which time Mr. Frey was calling the fire department on his cell phone. I helped him with our address and street name, handed him a shovel and set to work with the one I had. They weren't big fires, but there were several, and the wind kept just enough ahead to keep us busy. Ethan and Carolyn had come with me, and they were kicking at it with their shoes.
Then Mr. Frey noticed more little bits of smoke rising all the way back along the far side in several places. So, I jogged along, whapping and piling dirt as I went. I finally had to walk, I just couldn't run any more and was feeling a little dizzy, but kept at it. And he came along in the combine and got to the far end first. Well, I think we got it all out, but by this time, Kendra had to come over with a hoe, for the front fires had rekindled. Kendra worked on the front, and Melinda and Carolyn came behind me, 'cause honestly, that ol' wind just kept us hoppin'!
I think we had it all put out by the time the fire department got there, but they went to the back of the field and may have sprayed a little, I don't know. *cough, gasp*
Ethan and Carolyn were so redfaced, and Nolan was so disappointed he didn't get to ride in the combine ("Nolan, it was on fire, fer cryin' out loud...!") that I caved and acquiesced to yet another viewing of "Rocky and Bullwinkle." We all need a little break from reality, once in a while.
And so, I learned two, no three things today:
1) It is entirely possible that Ma and Pa Ingles did put out that prairie fire,
2) Judging by this burning sensation in my lungs, I am REALLY out of shape, and,
3) Having a lotta kids can come in handy.... Tweet

The Progeny
7 Comments:
T'was most exciting!
Kendra
Except when you miss it all.
Derek
Did you know I met my beloved in a burn corn stuble field? Back then it was far more convient to dry a tractor with some sort of digger over to the burning field and stop the blaze from spreading with a digger. But you modern folks like to use shovels, shoes and leg power. :-) Ah, the good old days when one could meet a charming young farmer over smoldering corn stalks. To this day we love to sit by a fire (sometimes the burn barrel) and remember our first meeting.....
Ask me sometime I'll give you the whole story!
MJ in Greene
Sorry I'm tired, I should really spell check before I hit that send button. It was a burning corn stuble field and we drove the tractor!
MJ in Greene
I'm not that picky on comment spelling, unless it's me :-)
'Round here we only had one fire this year. They hay haulers started it 'cause they left the parking brake on while they picked up hay. It vaporized 2 round bales that I made. Grrr.
Awwww, and round bales are so pretty....
Post a Comment
<< Home