Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Twelve and a half hours later...

...we are back :-)

As in home. Home with my chicks and chickletts.

And, can you imagine being gone all day and not hearing the beloved duet from The Pearl Fishers ?

*plays opera excerpt*

There. I feel better.
_____________

I tried posting from one of Mayo's computers, but Blogger was having issues and lost it.

No matter. Ma is seldom at a loss for words, much to the consternation of her husband and children.

As to Loren, we are still awaiting test results, including the strep culture from the local doctor.

As per Mayo's custom, they took blood in the morning, making off with what seemed to be several quarts worth. I could be exaggerating, but Loren had to spend time resting in a chair before proceeding to x-ray.

After that, it was a mere five hour wait until the afternoon doctor appointment.

We cruised the east side of Gonda building until we found a vacant couch. Loren sacked out and I pulled up a nearby wing-chair and settled in for some heavy duty crosswording. (I been hoping for a day or two "away," and even though this wasn't my first choice I figured I'd make the most of it)

I discovered two things: 1) "noir" is NOT the French word for "night," it's "nuit." I'd known that once upon a time, but it only took me five minutes to figure that out, so I still feel just--so--cool.
2) It's amazing how many people can come and stand or sit near a sleeping man wearing a hygienic face mask, talking loudly on their cell phones and TOTALLY unaware of how rude they are, despite the tastefully discreet yet blatant glares of his wife.

Now for results from the pm doctor visit:

-hey there, the chest x-ray was clear, so Loren doesn't have pneumonia. It did show that recently broken rib, which is slightly displaced and has healed with an uneven bump. That might explain why it hurt so much.

-the doc thinks he (and therefore we) might have had the flu. It's entirely possible that even though we all had flu shots, the vaccine did not contain the exact strain that was going around in our area. They took a nasal swab to test, but it's too late in the game to get any benefit from an anti-viral like Tamiflu.

-also, his immunosuppressed condition subjects him to things he may not be able to fight off.

-they are also testing Loren for a few odd infections that are of particular concern to transplant personnel.

When the orders were picked up this morning, there was another lab draw scheduled for 6:10 tomorrow morning! Whoa, we weren't counting on that.

The doctor changed it to later this afternoon, directly after his appointment. Thus, we got to come home :-D (Oh joy, I get to sleep in my own bed!)

Ma still had to utilize tricksey driving skills against prevailing wind gusts. Nothing like steering a large profile vehicle going 90 mph on route 70. Wait...make that 70 mph on route 90.

Whatever the details, it took some fancy roadwork, let me tell you. Each wind gust had to be carefully gauged in regards to velocity, direction and duration, only to be met with appropriate steering reaction in relation to counterforce, angle and algebraic equanimity.

Obviously, I can't divulge the ex-act details, since this information could be lethal in the wrong hands.

Let's just say it required all the knowledge I'd absorbed from watching "Donald Duck in Mathamagic Land." Twice.

Enough.

There are little boys that need to be read to :-)
 

1 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Good to know you're home! I hope it's not the flu. (Oh, is that what we had?...)

1/11/2007 07:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home