Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Friday, May 18, 2007

Today's Hol's

International Museum Day: not that there are any within 45 miles. I may have to put this on my list of "to-do's" for my long-awaited Ma's Day Out, which is fast approaching five whole days instead of the original two and a half.

Send an Electronic Greeting Card Day: hey, I've received a couple of these. Probably more popular with people who spend five or six hours per day in front of a computer, which is definitely....*looks at watch*...not me. Here's a place for us amateurs to check it out, but let me warn you...people over fifty still appreciate a card in the mail.

National Bike to Work Day: obviously originated from people who didn't have the 70 mile commute Loren used to have. (see Al Gore)

National Pizza Party Day: probably thought up by some pizza joint, but who doesn't love this concoction? You may have heard about the world's most expensive pizza. Personally, just give me a decent brand of supreme, throw in a Diet Cherry Coke and I'll be happy. And if I'm really feeling frisky I'll drink plain Cherry Coke.

Visit Your Relatives Day: we plan to celebrate next week, when Loren's brother and wife come from New Zealand.

Celebrate Your Elected Officials Day: my only question is...WHY?

No Dirty Dishes Day: yeah, right.

Birthday - Mother's Whistler: this one was a little confusing. Naturally I immediately thought of that famous painting by James McNeill Whistler, Whistler's Mother.

"Mother's Whistler" is a strange arrangement of the words, so I'm assuming this holiday site had a lack of editorial oversight.

May 18th is not the birthday of the artist so that leaves the anniversary of his mother's birth, she being the one who posed for the picture.

But when one backs off from this positively thrilling speculation, the historical bits and pieces surrounding his work are interesting in themselves.

And I imagine were he alive today, he wouldn't be fond of E-cards.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home