Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Adventures with Ma

For the past few days I've had this unaccountable feeling that I need to hurry and get things done...time could be running out. I have no idea what this means but hey, I've gotten a fair amount of work accomplished of late so I figure it has to be good.

Take the dead mouse smell, fer instance...

After checking under the kitchen sink and finding no decomposing bodies, I felt compelled to look in each side cupboard (nothing) and drawer, as well.

This is harder than you think since all three drawers between the dishwasher and sink do not work. Finally fed up, I yanked each drawer com-PLETELY out of it's formerly working metal-groove-slot-thingy.

I didn't find any dead mousies, but I did discover a white plastic thingamajob laying on the bottom of the drawer incasement-whatever-that-box-the-drawers-reside-in-is.

This looked to be something that if nailed into the back of the incasement-(WTBTDRII), might well hold the metal-(GST), thus allowing the I-can't-remember-how-long-ago-they-worked drawers to....work.

Thankfully I was able to locate a few extra nails in one of the glass jars which resided in the top drawer that also held a gazillion batteries whose weight had contributed to the drawer's demise.

I pounded it in.
This is the middle drawer metal-(GST). It was broken off when the above drawer, top-loaded with batteries, loose change and several glass jars with nails and screws busted out, fell down on the second drawer and busted THAT hardware out, collapsing on the third and bottom drawer which then went on strike.

I believe this is called "the domino effect" as-relates-to-kitchen-drawer-politics.

I know the nailing in of the white plastic thigamajob doesn't look to be professional, but I think it's sturdy, proving once again that "any job worth doing unprofessionally, is worth a few extra nails." (really, the original ones were rather thin and anemic)

It was also harder than it looks because I can't lean my head too much to one side or downward, as I'll get dizzy.

But once the middle and top drawer metal-(GST)s were back in place I was ready to attempt drawer insertion...except, some quiet little voice inside me said, "Ma...maybe you should remove some of the extra weight so that the drawer doesn't break again. Right away, that is."

Out of the drawer came $1.65 in loose change....mostly pennies. Also out of the drawer came a few batteries...
...would you believe, 12 D, 16 AAA and 104 AA ??

(does this ring a bell, SISINOK?)

The drawers are back in their proper places and the kids have been told to NOT put loose batteries in the drawer and to PLEASE search the box first, when looking to reinvigorate their flashlights and CD players.

Oh yes...the drawers work :-)

I may not be as handy as Thainamu--who apparently will dismantle toilet tanks and even rip whole toilets out of the floor (I will plunge them)--but I was gratified to find this little attempt at Handy-Ma-ing worked out while Loren was gone.

And the next time he leaves for a day or more, I may try to take down the nearly-dead ash tree with a ladder, a bow saw and a coupla ropes.
 

5 Comments:

Blogger Thainamu said...

From one handywoman to another, you've impressed me. It is nice to have drawers that work! But I have to ask--why do you have so many batteries?

11/17/2007 01:20:00 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Mommy, are you serious? 104 AA batteries?

So does this mean the recipe drawer is normal again?

11/17/2007 01:57:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Well Thainamu, it seems that no one wants to try one that is loose from the package. They just assume it might be dead and pull out another new one...then I, like an idiot, go and buy a new package.

In reality though, while we cannot rule out some type of intervention from space aliens, it seems clear that the batteries are breeding in the drawer at night.

Sharon, I am serious. I counted them. What can I say...we live in a sick world.

But more than that, I took all the recipe books out and lined them up on the bottom shelf of that little cart.

11/17/2007 07:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, My, Goodness....not those breeding batteries again. I can see that my work is not complete! :) I really wasn't shocked until the "104 AA". I know it's hard to part with batteries but the dead ones? :)
Well, better late than never! I shudder to think of what could happen when all three drawers crashed through the floor to the basement. I think that would wake you up in the middle of the night. hehehe. Thanks for the chuckle/ no-laughing out loud that this post gave me!
love your sisinok :)

11/17/2007 09:11:00 PM  
Blogger Thainamu said...

You need to buy a cheap little battery tester to live in the drawer with the batteries. I used to have battery troubles too--though maybe not of the 104 level--until I bought a cheap little tester.

11/18/2007 04:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home