Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Friday, January 04, 2008

El Caucuo Updato

By now you've probably heard all of the percentages and whatnot, so I won't do a repeat on that.

I would point a proud matronly finger toward the daughter and quietly yell, "That's my girl."

See? One person can make a difference :-)

And after watching the news last night I think a bit of clarification should be made...

On NBC, David Gregory went through a little "What IS a Caucus, Anyway?" segment. He was at a Democratic polling area in Des Moines and I'm thinkin' they might handle it differently than us Repubs.

To hear him tell it, people break into groups and then the persuasion game begins, with different candidates' reps trying to garner support for their man. It almost sounds a little free-for-allish.

And then, if any lower tier candidates do not have enough votes to meet certain criteria, (e.g. 1% or whatever) they cannot then be represented in the overall polling. Their people have to be incorporated into another group, which would perhaps cause additional discussion, heh, heh.

Maybe that's how they do it in the Democratic caucuses, but in every Republican one I've been to, it's more sedate.

As I said last night, there is opportunity for someone to stand up and give a few words in support, read a candidate's letter, etc, but then it's off to secret voting by people crammed together at cafeteria tables.

Then follows extensive work on planks--assuming live bodies remain--which pretty much means anyone can write down anything they want, hand it in and make life extremely difficult for the county convention folks :-)

Basically, Republicans don't want to cause trouble. At least not right away...
__________________

Well, today is Jason's last day at home. After lunch he and Ma will proceed to Ardith's house, by way of Waterloo. We'll stop there and shop for executive wear, or maybe that would be co-op wear. At any rate, he can't wear jeans to work because unlike Ardith, he is not working in the government building.

(by the way Ardith, I'm bringing Jason down today...)

I believe Jason's first day will include lunch with the boss. (order something mid-range, Jason...you don't wanna look too 'hungry')

Other than that we can't be reporting too much about his work. Not cool.

He's still officially enrolled in college due to a required class connected with the co-op, and that simply entails regular write-ups of some kind.

Naturally he'll be reporting in to ME with regular emails.

After all, it's the first of the year...that time when people make resolutions, start new ventures and that whole will-status thing comes up for review.

Hey, I don't enforce the rules, I just make them up.
 

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this is not the best attitude, but I can't imagine why anyone would go to caucus. It sounds hugely boring, time-consuming and frustrating. I think I stick with Wisconsin and cast my vote at the polling booth.

1/04/2008 03:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I visited your link to Ardith's blog after I made my first statement (typo and all) and now I really feel bad.

Cousin Terry

1/04/2008 03:50:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

No need to feel bad, Terry :-)

My preference would be a primary, so that people could vote during the day, fitting it around work hours, etc.

And though it be fun to be first in the nation, this whole moving up the date to stay first is getting REALLY old.

The caucus is a quirky kind of thing...sort of novel, sort of annoying but interesting and unusual.

If you remember Meridith Wilson's opening song in The Music Man, "Iowa Stubborn" is pretty indicative of Iowans in general.

1/04/2008 09:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home