Monarchy and Despotism
It's been a good year for finding and raising Monarch caterpillars.
Nolan found two in one day and kept them well fed and their jar cleaned.
Then, on Saturday, barely a week after going into chrysalis, the first one emerged!
Doesn't Nolan look happy? All nurturey and sublime, in his Bible verse T-shirt?
Nolan was happy to show Trevor "his" butterfly. "I can see the proboscis!"
What a good big brother he is, no?
The second caterpillar had gone into chrysalis the day after the first, so we were keeping a close eye...and shortly before church on Sunday morning, Trevor, with face peeled to the jar, shouted, "It's coming out....I see the head!!"
It happened so fast--less than 20 seconds, that by the time I got out the camera, it had fully emerged. Still, I've never seen one this new :-)
By this time, Trevor's caterpillar had started hanging from the lid of HIS jar. Trevor had also been exemplary in caring for his critter. We enjoyed watching it go from a rather small larva, shed it's skin, and then grow quite huge, with a ravenous appetite. We left for church....
...and when we got home, I glanced at the jar..."Hey, there's a green spot on the bottom...C'MERE, YOU GUYS!"
It was pretty thrilling, let me tell you. We've never seen them "go green." It actually sheds the last skin and all that lovely jade is what's left. It wiggled and wiggled and more and more green appeared. What a sight!
Later that day, however, Nolan got the bright idea of experimenting with cooking spray through the holes of Trevor's lid, completely encasing Trevor's chrysalis in non-stick goo.
When I thought to try washing it off, it was probably too late. Now it's somewhat concave and well....I told Trevor he might want to start looking for a new caterpillar.
It's my fault, really. I didn't actually TELL Nolan not to spray cooking spray on Trevor's caterpillar. I mean, I should have done that, right?
Someone hasn't grasped the whole idea of consequences, yet.
Of course, the above is not necessarily a typical, everyday occurrence.
It's just very, very close.
Tweet
Nolan found two in one day and kept them well fed and their jar cleaned.
Then, on Saturday, barely a week after going into chrysalis, the first one emerged!
Nolan was happy to show Trevor "his" butterfly. "I can see the proboscis!"
The second caterpillar had gone into chrysalis the day after the first, so we were keeping a close eye...and shortly before church on Sunday morning, Trevor, with face peeled to the jar, shouted, "It's coming out....I see the head!!"
By this time, Trevor's caterpillar had started hanging from the lid of HIS jar. Trevor had also been exemplary in caring for his critter. We enjoyed watching it go from a rather small larva, shed it's skin, and then grow quite huge, with a ravenous appetite. We left for church....
It was pretty thrilling, let me tell you. We've never seen them "go green." It actually sheds the last skin and all that lovely jade is what's left. It wiggled and wiggled and more and more green appeared. What a sight!
Later that day, however, Nolan got the bright idea of experimenting with cooking spray through the holes of Trevor's lid, completely encasing Trevor's chrysalis in non-stick goo.
When I thought to try washing it off, it was probably too late. Now it's somewhat concave and well....I told Trevor he might want to start looking for a new caterpillar.
It's my fault, really. I didn't actually TELL Nolan not to spray cooking spray on Trevor's caterpillar. I mean, I should have done that, right?
Someone hasn't grasped the whole idea of consequences, yet.
Of course, the above is not necessarily a typical, everyday occurrence.
It's just very, very close.
Tweet

The Progeny
8 Comments:
A little bit of grease to help the butterfly out of its coccoon... seems logical to me.
Yeah, except for the whole part about cutting off all means of respiration.
Impulse Action = "But I'm really sorry !"
The Cynic's right. This looks like a design flaw.
Which...the kid or the chrysalis?
Both?
So that's why mega-butterflies haven't evolved yet.
That which doesn't kill them will make them mega-er.
Oh you guys are a hoot!
Post a Comment
<< Home