Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Monday, January 18, 2010

Socked in Cotton

You would not be-LIEVE how foggy it is! Sixteenth of a mile visibility in rural places.

Currently, Ma comes to you from the library, as our Internet is down.

No visibility in real or cyber space. VERY scary.

Driving is like proceeding through white cotton candy, minus the sugar rush. Not even a few strands of sticky stuff on the mouth, for comfort. Fog will continue, until....

...Wednesday and Thursday, when a low moves in and we have a chance for mixed precipitation. Significant amounts of freezing accumulation possible in central Iowa...OH boy.

(wow, it is so NOISY in here. Too many cheerful librarians. Life is so different from when I grew up)

ANYWAY, I'm off on my little weekly shopping excursion, avec Melinda, the only one not remotely sick.

And earlier in the day, Nolan threw out this totally random question:

"Mommy? When you were a little girl and you were sick, did your mother ever go and buy you something special when she went shopping, to make you feel better?"

(oh BROTHER)

"Hmmm. Maybe jello or something if I had a sore throat..."

Probably not the answer he had in mind.

Ah well, Goodwill awaits and I'm feeling pretty self conscious as I'm the only one doing any typing. My keyboard could well be annoying the other peoples in our cozy little computer quad.

Better be off.

I wouldn't mind this fog so much if only I were in London.
 

5 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Mommy, guess what? Fog is also great for driving through at 1 a.m. with the Pirates soundtrack in your CD player. Ain't nothin' like it!

1/18/2010 09:59:00 PM  
Blogger tank said...

I should try posting sometime from an exotic location such as the library. I'm sure it inspireth much. My dirty desk is not very inspiring...

1/19/2010 06:16:00 AM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Sharon, I was coming home on the gravel just as the light was fading last night, and except for the patches of bare road, it was VERY hard to distinguish between the the white above, the white around, and the white below. I could have been flying through clouds, for all I could see...oh wait, I was.

Tank, I find the library intimidating, computer-wise. I think they purposely buy really loud keyboards so people won't stay on so long.

1/19/2010 08:45:00 AM  
Blogger tank said...

Jello was an excellent idea. Sugar free jello is 0 points ;) I'm having some orange jello as STRIKEwe speak/STRIKE I type. I thought the /s was a very acceptable tag.

1/19/2010 04:27:00 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

If I was feeling all maternal AND the kids were REALLY sick (i.e., taking prescription medication) I might, just might, make homemade pudding. But since it did take all of 15 minutes, they had to hack and huff dramatically before I bestirred myself from the couch. And I always got the first bowl, since of course a good cook always tastes her food before serving it to others (what, you don't eat a whole bowl when tasting something?).

Sorry for the internet issues. Can relate :-) Ours was down for over 12 hours and finally Ivan called to find out what was going on. Turns out the system "lost" our username and password somehow. Weird.

I don't miss those foggy days so common to the Midwest. They always creeped me out. Reminded me of a book I read in elementary school called "Fog Magic".

1/19/2010 06:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home