Cherries and Mowing and Mulching, Oh My!
What a DAY.
Loren and I are both fairly exhausted, working on separate projects all the live long day. Loren was messing with the swing set, attaching chains for the tire swing (we still need to get a tire--a LARGE one) and then putting up climbing bars.
There really should be enough stuff for all the boys to be doing different things and not get on each other's nerves, but alas, where there is Nolan, there is attitude.
Anyway, I'll get a picture up again, one of these days, after the tire is attached.
________________
Kendra and Carolyn have been picking cherries, and today I had the kids pit them (you can see how much FUN Nolan is having).
It's a messy job. And the trees are still loaded, so this same activity will take place again in another day or two. Five quarts so far and it looks like a banner year.
They also did up a few strawberries for me, while I put the finishing whacks to the far lawn. Ethan had wanted to come out and continue what he started this morning, but I said, "No, you stay in where it's air conditioned :-)
Okay, so it's true...I HATE cutting up cherries (not that I've ever done it). But with all of the gang working, it was completed double quick.
(truth be known, most indoor chores pale in comparison to garden/yard work)
It was a propitious day in another way, in that Mr. Frey came with the auger to get grain out of the bins, and had his wife, Renice, mow the section, first. Mowing that square often generates enough grass clippings for a good mulching, so I headed over there abouts three and started in on the hot, dusty work.
Got the beans and 3 out o five raspberry rows mulched; I'm fairly happy with that.
And after listening to the KWWL weather at six, I took a chance that Schnack is right and there won't be any rain until tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I can get that last vegetable bed in, after all! And if I wake up to rain, I will be VERY disappointed, though frankly, I hardly had any energy left. I was making contingency plans to merely clear a few hills for the squash and cucumber seeds and process the rest of the bed, later.
But now, resting in the calm assurance that NO RAIN WILL COME UNTIL AFTERNOON, I should have enough time to get that baby done.
Providing I can will myself out of bed in the morning. Already I'm sensing the "I've-been-out-in-the-heat-and-I-can't-take-it-anymore-MIGRAINE," which will need some serious drugs, before bed.
And, my arms are turning so brown from the outside work that it's a tad alarming, but as I tell the kids, "The darker skin tones will make me look thinner."
That's true, right?
I find one's powers of rationalization increase, with age.
Tweet
Loren and I are both fairly exhausted, working on separate projects all the live long day. Loren was messing with the swing set, attaching chains for the tire swing (we still need to get a tire--a LARGE one) and then putting up climbing bars.
There really should be enough stuff for all the boys to be doing different things and not get on each other's nerves, but alas, where there is Nolan, there is attitude.
Anyway, I'll get a picture up again, one of these days, after the tire is attached.
________________
Kendra and Carolyn have been picking cherries, and today I had the kids pit them (you can see how much FUN Nolan is having).
They also did up a few strawberries for me, while I put the finishing whacks to the far lawn. Ethan had wanted to come out and continue what he started this morning, but I said, "No, you stay in where it's air conditioned :-)
Okay, so it's true...I HATE cutting up cherries (not that I've ever done it). But with all of the gang working, it was completed double quick.
(truth be known, most indoor chores pale in comparison to garden/yard work)
It was a propitious day in another way, in that Mr. Frey came with the auger to get grain out of the bins, and had his wife, Renice, mow the section, first. Mowing that square often generates enough grass clippings for a good mulching, so I headed over there abouts three and started in on the hot, dusty work.
Got the beans and 3 out o five raspberry rows mulched; I'm fairly happy with that.
And after listening to the KWWL weather at six, I took a chance that Schnack is right and there won't be any rain until tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I can get that last vegetable bed in, after all! And if I wake up to rain, I will be VERY disappointed, though frankly, I hardly had any energy left. I was making contingency plans to merely clear a few hills for the squash and cucumber seeds and process the rest of the bed, later.
But now, resting in the calm assurance that NO RAIN WILL COME UNTIL AFTERNOON, I should have enough time to get that baby done.
Providing I can will myself out of bed in the morning. Already I'm sensing the "I've-been-out-in-the-heat-and-I-can't-take-it-anymore-MIGRAINE," which will need some serious drugs, before bed.
And, my arms are turning so brown from the outside work that it's a tad alarming, but as I tell the kids, "The darker skin tones will make me look thinner."
That's true, right?
I find one's powers of rationalization increase, with age.
Tweet

The Progeny
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home