Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Monday, November 08, 2010

Carolyn, Sweet Sixteen :-)

Another month, another two birthdays, heh, heh.

Hard to believe Carolyn--a 4-month-old babe when Loren had his cardiac arrest--has now turned 16! Here are a few pictures from yesterday's bash:

The candle de-lighting ceremony.
The cake had "issues." But what it lacked in viewability, it made up for in taste. Sour cream frosting...YUM!

The traditional giving of weird but heartfelt gifts from the younger bros...
This is from Trevor. It's a strap off one of my old purses--which apparently cannot be used anymore--that Trevor transformed into a 'holder-of-stuff-thingy."

Yarn.
"I noticed you've been crocheting a bit, lately...." "Yes..." "Well, now you have to crochet, more."

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
"So...is this a famous book?"

*sigh*

On her stash you might glimpse another book that didn't come out in the picture, The Complete Book of Aunts.

(all books are given with the understanding that Ma gets to read them)

Last, but not least, a CD...Bluegrass Hymns (or something like that)


Throughout the present-opening festivities there were the usual helpful comments by people like Nolan and Trevor..."That looks like a book!" or "I bet Carolyn got a CD! Hey...I never got a CD..."

*sigh*

I should also mention Carolyn's meal. She chose a dish she'd had at her Aunt Elizabeth's, in Tulsa, Oklahoma. After some consultation with Elizabeth and online recipes, we came up with this:
Elizabeth's grandmother used to make this, and we've renamed it, "Aunt Elizabeth's Chicken-n-Biscuits." It was YUMMO.

One more anniversary of note. Today marks exactly six years since Loren had his heart transplant. We can remember it since it's nestled right between Carolyn's birthday on November 7th, and Melinda's on the November 9th.

If I recall correctly, I wasn't home for Melinda's birthday back in 2004. There was a lot of choosing between the husband and the kids, during that 9-year span, but I'm very glad we can all be together in the here and now.

Enough reminiscing. Here's to the baby girl:

Happy Birthday, Carolyn!
 

4 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Happy birthday Carolyn! You're practically an adult! 14 more years. :)

11/08/2010 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger Trallferd said...

While I am licking my chops in envy over the main course just enjoyed, I can't help but wonder... what makes one an adult at 30?

11/08/2010 11:15:00 PM  
Blogger Vengeful Cynic said...

Well, all of the 20-something-year-olds that we know aren't adults. Maybe 30 will make us adults.

11/09/2010 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

There is something to be said for 30 making one feel like an adult.

That's when I first noticed lines under and around my eyes, and I thought, "Hmmm, once you get wrinkles there's no denying this "growing up" business."

11/09/2010 04:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home