Day of Ft. Dodginess - Take 1
I know from past experience that if I don't start putting up pictures of Saturday's adventures, nothing will get posted, so here goes....
The rain wasn't supposed to start until the afternoon. But I guess if you're driving 75 minutes west, that might mean the rain starts in the morning.
And it did.
After dropping Carolyn and Ethan off at the Republican District Convention, I drove around Ft. Dodge a bit to get my bearings, muttering to myself,
"It wasn't supposed to rain until later...not sure I want to tramp in the woods while it's raining."
Trevor: "I don't mind hiking in the rain. Besides...it's not raining...much..."
Ma: "Hmmmm, I guess we could go to the mall for a while..."
*silence*
"What's a mall?"
Oh well. I guess if they were game I would try to be gamey, too.
We first went to the Bob Hay Memorial Conservation Area.
I think you could call it low tech. So low tech, there wasn't actually a sign, but I finally back-tracked just a bit and figured out where it was. And while I was putting on my hiking boots a hunter walked out of the area. Said it was OK to hike but this was Turkey hunting season, and maybe Nolan shouldn't wear the bright red mittens...
Right. No mittens.
I made Trevor take off his gloves that had patches of maroon.
Then we went off into the very wet brush as light rain continued to make itself felt.
Honeysuckle.
I always like this stuff. The boys were impressed that I knew what it was.
I hope that's really honeysuckle.
Since I was taking pictures, Trevor decided to take pictures, too!
They did show foresight in bringing along their Lego camera, as well as the binoculars.
And now, something I've never actually seen before, though it is fairly common in the woods....Yellow Violets :-)
OK. I like these babies. Had we been by the side of a road I might have pulled some up to take home. But I decided this wouldn't be a good example for the boys.
Nolan was quite excited to find a bone, which he felt very sure to be a thigh bone.
He gave Trevor instructions on just how to photograph it and wanted to take it with him but alas, I said "No."
Morel mushrooms! I've never had them myself.
And I guess true hunters would have packed them on home, but it seemed like leaving them would be best.
I'm already adept at ruining simple foods. There's no need to branch out to more exotic items.
Somewhat damp, we retraced our steps after about 25 minutes and headed back to the Green Dragon Lady Lincoln of Power.
(more to come....)
Tweet
The rain wasn't supposed to start until the afternoon. But I guess if you're driving 75 minutes west, that might mean the rain starts in the morning.
And it did.
After dropping Carolyn and Ethan off at the Republican District Convention, I drove around Ft. Dodge a bit to get my bearings, muttering to myself,
"It wasn't supposed to rain until later...not sure I want to tramp in the woods while it's raining."
Trevor: "I don't mind hiking in the rain. Besides...it's not raining...much..."
Ma: "Hmmmm, I guess we could go to the mall for a while..."
*silence*
"What's a mall?"
Oh well. I guess if they were game I would try to be gamey, too.
We first went to the Bob Hay Memorial Conservation Area.
I think you could call it low tech. So low tech, there wasn't actually a sign, but I finally back-tracked just a bit and figured out where it was. And while I was putting on my hiking boots a hunter walked out of the area. Said it was OK to hike but this was Turkey hunting season, and maybe Nolan shouldn't wear the bright red mittens...
Right. No mittens.
I made Trevor take off his gloves that had patches of maroon.
Then we went off into the very wet brush as light rain continued to make itself felt.
Honeysuckle.
I hope that's really honeysuckle.
Since I was taking pictures, Trevor decided to take pictures, too!
And now, something I've never actually seen before, though it is fairly common in the woods....Yellow Violets :-)
Nolan was quite excited to find a bone, which he felt very sure to be a thigh bone.
Morel mushrooms! I've never had them myself.
I'm already adept at ruining simple foods. There's no need to branch out to more exotic items.
Somewhat damp, we retraced our steps after about 25 minutes and headed back to the Green Dragon Lady Lincoln of Power.
(more to come....)
Tweet

The Progeny
2 Comments:
Yup, that looks like honeysuckle. Morel mushrooms are yummy -- very rich tasting. Didn't even know there were any other mushrooms until we found puffballs on the farm, too.
the other Nancy
Love all the photos in this post and the preceding ones.
the other Nancy
Post a Comment
<< Home