Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Vitals

I have just returned from my first "working" visit to the laundry room. ("Linens must be washed twice, weekly, NO BLEACH on the colored towels, please. Washers and dryers must be wiped off with disinfectant before use. Thank you, and have a nice day.")

Good grief! 75 cents for one measly load. It took some "arguing" with the dollar change machine to get my quarters. I guess I told it who was boss. It had the audacity to think I was some college freshman who would be intimidated.

I returned to the room to find Loren back in bed. I placed one of my favorite CD's, "British Military Band Favorites" in the computer to see if I can rouse him.

He has lost a little weight, some of which might be water. There is a little fluid retention around his ankles most days. Something he never had before. But he is thin, and I have to get some meat on the guy, which is not easy, considering some of the restrictions. The Cyclosporine raises potassium levels, so we have to be careful of certain foods. The dieticians at the hospital promoted fruits and vegetables like bananas, oranges and apples, which all have peels that can be removed, lessening the chance of introducing bacteria. Naturally, all of these foods are high in potassium. The nurse coordinator said, "We want all of our patients to drink milk!" And yes, it's on the high potassium list. The dieticians are always promoting low fat, low calorie, but I rebelliously went out and bought Loren some REAL butter, yesterday. Let them try and take it away from me! I dare them. I'll just bet if I put all these factors into the computer it would spit out, "Patient is allowed unlimited quantities of sanitizing lotion. Live long and prosper."

Everyday he has to take his blood pressure, morning and evening, weigh himself once, and take his temperature, morning and evening. A rise in temperature is one of the first signs of an infection, or it could also be a sign of rejection. So Mayo has patients keep close tabs on those vitals. Loren has a little yellow notebook where he has to make careful notations of each medication and it's dosage as it is taken. I am almost certain we are part of a "giant, vast, right-wing science experimency."

If you'll excuse me, I must apply some antibacterial lotion lest I infect the washing machine.




4 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Mommy, if you think 75 cents is too much for a load of laundry, try Ardith's laundry room, or mine. . . I think we both pay $1.50 for washing and drying (and that hardly guarantees dry clothes).

So exciting to hear the results of Daddy's heart checkup!

11/23/2004 05:38:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Well, Sharon, I hate to brag, but I get my clothes DRY in one cycle. Even jeans. Beat that! Still, it cost 5 bucks to do four loads.

Stan, the temporary pacemaker wires were pulled out the day he was released. (they weren't touching the heart, just under the skin ) Sometimes a permanent one is needed, but that won't be known for a month or two.

11/23/2004 08:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, does that mean that the new heart is beating completely on its own? We and our church continue to pray, and I just learned that my parents' church is praying too. Just thought you'd like to know.

Bless you,
Sharon, the elder

11/23/2004 09:15:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Yes, Sharon (the elder) it beats on it's own, and Loren can tell it is a stronger, more steady beat.

We appreciate EVERYONE's prayers.

11/24/2004 07:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home