Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Thursday, February 03, 2005

First Day Back Among the Living

The alarm went off at 7:01 this morning, and I managed to drag myself out of bed. When you're back among the young and impressionable progeny, there's a certain obligation to appear responsible. It would not be good form to lie abed while the kids are up and mentally sweating great buckets over their Saxon Math. So, I arose.

I was casting about for my tennis shoes, when I was waylaid by an almost 3-year-old, standing silent on the stairway. Clad in his footless sleepers, he just stood there, with his little tyke arms outstretched. Who could resist? Not I.

He was glad to be carried downstairs in his half-somnolent condition. Temporarily having the living room to ourselves, we parked on a cozy couch. A soft-toned discussion commenced. I talked, and he nodded. We batted about little and big subjects, mostly toes, since his cute little feet were sticking out of his jammies. The branches waving in the wind outside the window also caught our attention. And, equally important, we just sat there, quiet and content.

Ah, bliss.
_______________

Loren and I arrived home later than expected, thanks to the ever-annoying care and attention of our medical insurance company. ("sure, we'll pay for most of the transplant, but we still have ways of making you pay")

Increasing dizzy spells had been bothering Loren, and we made an unscheduled stop up to the transplant floor yesterday. After consulting with a coordinator, it was decided that Loren should immediately stop the anti-viral medicine, Amantadine, (dizziness is one of the first side effects) and switch to Tamiflu. (antiviral therapy was suggested recently for all patients transplanted within the last 4 months, to further help prevent flu)

ANYway, the standard prescription is for 10 days, but Loren was to have a month's worth. So, the insurance company, in it's infinite wisdom ("first, be a pain") has to pre-authorize the extra amount. But, they just never got around to OK'ing matters, so, the pharmacy, in hopes of getting rid of this meddlesome woman, (me :-) agreed to give us 10 pills and FedEx the rest, after approval, without extra co-pay, we hope. (it's very expensive)

Well, I just wanted to get home, so I managed to exert some control over my rumored (and com-PLETELY exaggerated) lapses into manic fury.

Loading the little Toyota was tricky. We had acquired a a few extra pillows, and foam pads, and also books :-) Of course, the computer took up a GREAT deal of space, but even I do not begrudge it room any more. I came close to dropping the honkingily heavy 19 inch monitor while I was loading it onto the cart. This brought a slight gasp of dismay from my husband, but I think the main thing to remember, here, is that I didn't actually drop it.

Loren, the "master packer" went to work on the car. By stuffing the trunk, and cramming the back seat up to the roof, we did manage to fit everything in, all the time providing a source of amusement for various "guests" of The House. The only thing I had to leave behind was my fake poinsettia, which is now a donated Christmas decoration at Gift of Life. Oh yes, Loren did have to hold his 14 inch square box of meds on his lap all the way home. (He volunteered me to drive since he'd had those dizzy spells)
_______________

So now, it is back to the old, happy routine. ("Can you run these in to the post office? They have GOT to go out today....") OK, so after that, I sat down and listened to Ethan read, (he's improving) and helped Carolyn with some history questions, ("A lot of people want to know why we got involved in the Vietnam War.....") and listened to Nolan read....*blink* ("Melinda! You've done a great job with Nolan!") (OK, it was mostly short "a" vowel words and small sentences, but the kid was reading) and quizzed Ethan on his Catechism questions, (knows 21 of 60--need to pick up the pace) and listened to another long, verbal persuasive complaint from "someone," who claims their academic load is way too heavy.

It was all lovely. Every single bit :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger MoM said...

Welcome Home and still take it a little easy. Keeping up with lots of youngens can be quite tiring....fun but tiring. Glad to know you have made it safely back! Sounds like the kids made good progress while you were gone....no slackers in your family. If Dad had to do all that work to get better, they sure were not going to disappoint him by slacking at home. Have fun getting reaquainted with everyone.
Love your sis in Christ
MoM

2/04/2005 05:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home