Shearing Day
Did you ever have one of those days when you got sidetracked from what you had planned?
It all started when I gave a piano lesson to Melinda, and discovered she would soon need a new book. This reminded me that Carolyn also needed a new one, and I found I could no longer ignore the disarray of piano pedagogy.
SO, I got down the baskets filled with piano books, previously arranged according to that renowned organizational method, "Mess and Mayhem." Soon there were piles on the floor, "2nd level," "3rd level," and so forth. Amongst these potential aids to musical stardom, I also retrieved a few non-musical items: Lego blocks--the forgotten cast-off artillery from some war of long ago, an old family letter from last year ("By the way, Aunt Matilda, we will be unable to make the Christmas 2004 get-together."), several family photos taken before the last three kids were born, and my lost copy of, "Dave Barry Slept Here, A Sort of History of the United States." (Goody! More reading material for the bathroom)
It took nearly two hours, but FINALLY, everything was arranged. I managed to slip harder music into each one's pile, and, most importantly, everyone has to keep their books in a labeled folder. Upon penalty of death! See, it was not long ago, that a haphazard pile of books upon the piano, catapulted off the edge, and neatly broke off one foot of new growth from a favorite house plant. *shudders* I....I....I just don't want to talk about it......
By quarter to 12, I was ready to start the REAL task of the day, cutting the hair of four boys. I started with Nolan a few days ago. He cannot get in the tub, and, with a buzz cut, I can just shampoo his hair (what's left of it) with a washcloth :-) Buzz cuts being the favored style of summer, I sheared all the rest in like manner, allowing Jason the privilege of an extra 1/4 inch. I am just an old softy, I am.
Happily, there were no unfortunate accidents. All four boys retained their ears.
And what is even more fun than cutting hair from squirming boys? Cutting grass!
If I weren't so humble, I would venture to say that clippers and mower were wielded with equal expertise. Tweet
It all started when I gave a piano lesson to Melinda, and discovered she would soon need a new book. This reminded me that Carolyn also needed a new one, and I found I could no longer ignore the disarray of piano pedagogy.
SO, I got down the baskets filled with piano books, previously arranged according to that renowned organizational method, "Mess and Mayhem." Soon there were piles on the floor, "2nd level," "3rd level," and so forth. Amongst these potential aids to musical stardom, I also retrieved a few non-musical items: Lego blocks--the forgotten cast-off artillery from some war of long ago, an old family letter from last year ("By the way, Aunt Matilda, we will be unable to make the Christmas 2004 get-together."), several family photos taken before the last three kids were born, and my lost copy of, "Dave Barry Slept Here, A Sort of History of the United States." (Goody! More reading material for the bathroom)
It took nearly two hours, but FINALLY, everything was arranged. I managed to slip harder music into each one's pile, and, most importantly, everyone has to keep their books in a labeled folder. Upon penalty of death! See, it was not long ago, that a haphazard pile of books upon the piano, catapulted off the edge, and neatly broke off one foot of new growth from a favorite house plant. *shudders* I....I....I just don't want to talk about it......
By quarter to 12, I was ready to start the REAL task of the day, cutting the hair of four boys. I started with Nolan a few days ago. He cannot get in the tub, and, with a buzz cut, I can just shampoo his hair (what's left of it) with a washcloth :-) Buzz cuts being the favored style of summer, I sheared all the rest in like manner, allowing Jason the privilege of an extra 1/4 inch. I am just an old softy, I am.
Happily, there were no unfortunate accidents. All four boys retained their ears.
And what is even more fun than cutting hair from squirming boys? Cutting grass!
If I weren't so humble, I would venture to say that clippers and mower were wielded with equal expertise. Tweet

The Progeny
2 Comments:
I think you need to get your camera and show us a photo of these newly shorn boys.
I would, IF my own computer, which has Picassa and Hello newly installed, would RECOGNIZE my camara, OR, if I could access our network pictures from my computer, which could not be done, last time I tried.
'Tis MOST frustrating. But I will keep nagging....
Post a Comment
<< Home