Ramblings in the wee hours
So, I was wide awake and staring at the ceiling--or, would have been, if I'd had my glasses and the light on--when I suddenly remembered that I'd forgotten to take my nightly calcium and Tylenol PM...
*mentally slaps forehead*
So THAT'S why I'm lying here in the dark with my heart thumping.
Quietly fumbling down the stairway, I walked into the kitchen with amazing stealth, considering my size 9 plus feet. "Hmmmm," I said to myself, "a nice piece of fresh bread with butter slathered on it could be just the ticket." Oh yeah. Just the thing for a person to eat after midnight when they are trying to keep the weight off. But then, carbs are supposed to make you sleepy. Carbs are our friends.
Reaching for my magic pills, I notice one of my EIGHT mouse traps seems to be in a new position. (yes, eight. Harvest is over and mice like to move inside for the winter. There's a sign that only mice can read, right over our door, that says, "FLORIDA--this way")
And, wouldn't you know it, I picked up the trap and there is a mouse attached. By it's foot. Generally, when a mouse is caught by it's foot, the rest of him is still rather limber. Mousey scufflings and pitiful squeakings ensued, as I carried "IT" out the door. "Great!" I thought to myself, "I have to finish off a-nother one."
Why can't they just die quietly, like good little rodents?
"Mouse, O mouse,
get out the door.
Mouse, O mouse,
you are no more.
Size nine feet pad 'cross the floor as Ma is on the prowl.
Five mice in
the past two days.
Nasty mice won't
mend their ways.
No one plays with Ma's poor mind and gets a-way with it.
Slowly creeping
Up the stair, I
quietly to
my bed repair.
Life is hardly even fair, if you are a mouse....but of course, I'm not, and since the meds are kicking in *yawn* I'm off to...zzzzzzzzzzzz....." Tweet
*mentally slaps forehead*
So THAT'S why I'm lying here in the dark with my heart thumping.
Quietly fumbling down the stairway, I walked into the kitchen with amazing stealth, considering my size 9 plus feet. "Hmmmm," I said to myself, "a nice piece of fresh bread with butter slathered on it could be just the ticket." Oh yeah. Just the thing for a person to eat after midnight when they are trying to keep the weight off. But then, carbs are supposed to make you sleepy. Carbs are our friends.
Reaching for my magic pills, I notice one of my EIGHT mouse traps seems to be in a new position. (yes, eight. Harvest is over and mice like to move inside for the winter. There's a sign that only mice can read, right over our door, that says, "FLORIDA--this way")
And, wouldn't you know it, I picked up the trap and there is a mouse attached. By it's foot. Generally, when a mouse is caught by it's foot, the rest of him is still rather limber. Mousey scufflings and pitiful squeakings ensued, as I carried "IT" out the door. "Great!" I thought to myself, "I have to finish off a-nother one."
Why can't they just die quietly, like good little rodents?
"Mouse, O mouse,
get out the door.
Mouse, O mouse,
you are no more.
Size nine feet pad 'cross the floor as Ma is on the prowl.
Five mice in
the past two days.
Nasty mice won't
mend their ways.
No one plays with Ma's poor mind and gets a-way with it.
Slowly creeping
Up the stair, I
quietly to
my bed repair.
Life is hardly even fair, if you are a mouse....but of course, I'm not, and since the meds are kicking in *yawn* I'm off to...zzzzzzzzzzzz....." Tweet

The Progeny
3 Comments:
I think this is in the running for The. Greatest. Post. Evar.
You are very kind :-)
I shall consider staying up late, more often.
This goes right along with Cynic's post about his mouse! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home