Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Saturday, October 08, 2005

The Ma Side


A child of the sixties, the mother of ten raised her arms to the sky and was heard to yell, "Burn, baby diapers, burn!"
______________________

Hey, it's Fire Prevention Week, but I didn't know that until after I'd burned the trash last night. If I had been aware, I might have used even more gasoline, for commemoration's sake. As it was, there arose a nice hot fire to consume most of the burnable trash. The pile of leftovers you see consists mostly of a diaper backlog going back....um....several years. One of these days I will shovel that stuff into trash bags, cart it to the dump, and dig me a wondrous new fire pit. (Which reminds me, "When are you kids gonna get around to potty-training your little brother, so I can dig me a new fire pit, huh?")

On a completely unrelated note, did you know that the material in disposable diapers is being experimented with in regards to a fire retardant? Again, if only I had known....

Notice the little plastic peanuts in the front? They are SOOOOooo exasperating to burn. Just the thought of a breeze scatters them in all directions. Ol' Ma has to be handy with the shovel and scoop them right back at the blaze. On the plus side, a few minutes of this work, and one can totally skip that annoying weekly eyebrow-plucking session.

But getting back to Fire Prevention Week, I didn't know it came about in memory of the Great Chicago Fire. Or that the fire took place on October 8.

*checks calendar*

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering Trevor can already diaper himself, maybe he should do his own potty-training as well?

Kendra

10/08/2005 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

That would be the supreme evolutionary stage in your technique of childhood training delegation!

10/08/2005 10:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home