Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Monday, December 05, 2005

Sunset over frozen farmland



It is most difficult to crawl out of warm covers on a cold morning. But then, a quarter inch layer of ice on the inside of a window is bound to have some insulating properties. (This is only true for a couple of the windows)

But duty calls! One must set a good example for the progeny and all.

First, preparations must be made to start the most important activity of the day....exercising. This included donning slippers and padding down to the basement to get clean socks out of the dryer. Then there was the padding back up to get dressed, and padding down again to pour out Trevor's shot of "wake-up juice," which I'd forgotten in my early morning paddical daze.

So, with all this padding about, I figured I could EASILY subtract 10 minutes from the exercise regime. This allows those precious minutes to be used in a more profitable way....like, reading in the bathroom. (By the way, did you know that the father of the H-bomb was really Stan Ulam and not Edward Teller?)

After exercise--which is performed in a non-heated room of the second floor addition--I clumped down to the kitchen, with all five senses fully functioning.

It was THEN that I smelled it. That unmistakable odor.....dead mouse.

WHOA! How could I have missed this when I was down here earlier? It was then that I spied two little boys playing with the Legos. Before proceeding to check for dead rodents, it might just be prudent to check someone's diaper.

Trevor denied any complicity in the offensive odor department. Twice. I decided it would be easier to check my traps before peeling off his sleepers and exposing him to a chill.

My first two traps were empty....then my eyes rested upon a third, turned upside down. AHA! Victory! Except....when I gingerly picked it up, part of the mouse stayed on the floor.....EE-YOUUUUU. ("she's breaking up!....Cap'n....she's breaking up!")

Man. Don't ya just hate it when that happens?

"Let me see! Mommy, let me see!"

"UGh. No, it's gross! It smells"

"Let me SEE!"

*waves in general direction of boys while making hasty tracks for door*

Well, after all of that, there was nothing for it but to light a scented candle, and scrub the floor with soap and hot water. And fix breakfast.

Say, have I ever given my recipe for "Ma's Power Oatmeal?"

MA's Power Oatmeal

  • pour water in pan to boil, add salt, maple flavoring and cinnamon
  • peel, and chop one half an apple, add to water
  • Only use long cooking oats-they pack more punch
  • Put in more oats than they say, so you don't end up with a wimpy thin mixure
  • When desired doneness is achieved (I always undercook it, 'cause I like some "meat" to my oatmeal) transfer cooked product to bowl
  • add brown sugar, walnuts, slivered almonds or pecans. I use walnuts since they are cheaper...
  • add milk with fat content of your choice. I use 2%, because life's too short for skim or 1%.

I have seen a lady chef on TV put a "glaze" on the top by getting out a propane torch and heating up the sugar on top to a crust. (for some reason, the name "Belleveiw" just popped into my mind.....I don't know why)

So there you have it :-) Ma's own special power oatmeal. Believe me, it'll stick to your ribs.

In the meantime, I'll leave you with this ancient Irish blessing:
May the road rise to meet you,
May it rise quite a lot,
May your oatmeal be sticky, your mouses be not.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off-subject, but just wondering. What has happened about your brother's work situation? What's the update on Loren's return to work?
the other Nancy

12/05/2005 03:10:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Hi Nancy :-)

My brother got a temporary job with a company based in Chicago. Since he and his family live in Goshen, IN, he drives up on Sunday or Monday, does computer work for the company, they put him up in a hotel during the week, and then he gets to go back home for the weekend.

From what I hear, it's working out reasonably well...

Loren has actually been down to the Ames station just yesterday (Mon). He has some computer training to accomplish before going to the next stage--one day of driver training in Chicago.

BUT, though the manually submitted paperwork has finally gone through, Loren's name has not yet been assigned to his manager's work group, so he can't be entered into the "system" yet...so no computer training possible yet, though he did get to watch a video yesterday :-)

Likewise, he can't take the training in Chicago until his name get logged in. But, if that DOES happen sometime in the next millennia, he will drive to Chicago, stay overnight Wed and Thurs, and then come back on Friday.

Red tape.....ya just gotta luv it.....

12/06/2005 09:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home