Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Monday, February 06, 2006

That Recurring Dream Thing

It happens six or seven times per year.....the dream that leaves me restless, frustrated and oh SOOOOOOOOoooooo glad to wake up.

No, I am not talking about missing the lottery by one number.

This is real life dreaming. To quote Dave Barry, "I am not making this up."

They all involve variations on the same theme....I am in college again, and have missed the first week or two of classes.

Last night it was Sociology. I was late for Soc. class and didn't even have the book. Striving to do my duty, I agreed to take a fellow classmate--who'd had the foresight to buy the book--to class in my car. She couldn't walk with me to the parking lot because of her bad back. Promising to swing by and pick her up, I carried her heavy book as I vainly searched for my vehicle.

Did I mention we were late?

All alone, I waded through what seemed like piles of loose sand, trudging onward. Once I was forced to venture down a dark alley, where questionable characters gave me shifty looks as they passed.

After plodding about for what seemed an interminable time, I remembered parking the car in the opposite direction.

Thankfully, that's when I woke up.

These dreams often involve the following:
-I have a paper due the next day which has not been started
-I've missed classes and I don't even know where they are
-I often have the younger kids with me and have to keep them quiet in class as I take notes

Now, I'm not one to attach any real significance to dreams and such. I realize your mind just reworks things of the past day, week and.....maybe the last 30 years. At least, that's what I learned in Psychology class. (apparently I got to that one...)

Loren thinks it's just symbolic of the rush of motherhood. With young children there is never the feeling that it's all under control....that everything necessary has been accomplished.

That certainly could be true. But I'm not asking for dream analysis or trying to find out how this can guide my life.

No, I'm much more of a realist.

I KNOW it's just aliens from outer space messing with my brain.

Probably an assignment for their Psych class.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home