Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Out of Mayo -part 1

You know, these St. Mary's library computers are REALLY slow. They are so slow, that Loren could easily keep up with his hunt and peck method. (Which reminds me....how many people out there would agree with Loren that at his age it would be impossible for him to learn to type with the appropriate fingers? It's perfectly OK if you agree with him--and disagree with me. I assure you there will be no altering of will-status or negation of cookies/apples to be sent. I am just curious as to how many people would take his line of thinking as opposed to being perfectly reasonable and siding with me....)

Speaking of Loren, he is in the cath lab at this moment. When I arrived at the nurses station (after going back to the motel to retrieve the pills he'd forgotten) I was issued a little pager. It will beep three times: the first time gives me the message he's been taken into the procedure room, the second beep pops up the message that he's coming out, the third tells me he's soon to be in final recovery room which will take three hours of watching and making certain the site does not bleed.

The last period of recovery I can join him and we may even watch a movie or two.

However, I have yet to hear the first beep, so I'm thinkin' it's gonna be a looonnnng day.

When you check in at 7:15, you expect to be wheeled into the lab before 10:00

*sigh*

I will be running back to check on that, soon....
_________________

It's the usual comedy of errors:
-forgotten medications
-wrong elevator
-missed seeing Loren taken back
-sat and waited for 40 minutes for the nurses to come for his pills
-went to cafeteria to get breakfast
-got a page for a call...."The nurses are here for the pills, now..."
-delicately snarfed rest of overpriced breakfast
-returned meds
-started for library and went down wrong hall
-arrived at library to find it wasn't open yet
-decided to wait, since it was only 20 minutes
-redeiscovered I'd looked at my watch wrong, and it was 40 minutes

On the good side:
-decided to stay anyway, since there are reasonably comfortable chairs in the hall and it is SO much quieter than the cardiac lobby with 2 TV's and several conversations
-made some progress on crossword puzzles and read several short stories by Saki
-checked in with kids and they are doing fine

That's all for the moment....
 

4 Comments:

Blogger Thainamu said...

About the typing thing--I suppose he could learn, but at this point, why should he? I trained myself to mouse with my left hand and it took three weeks of concentrated effort before it became comfortable. Learning to touch type would be harder than that, I expect.

10/04/2006 02:25:00 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Mommy, you don't really want to lose your keyboard superiority to Daddy, do you?

10/04/2006 02:32:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

You make an EX-cellent point, Sharon. I might have to give that deep consideration. However, it would be nice if he could IM faster. It's just so fun talking to someone in the other room.

Deep down, Thainamu, I rebel at the thought that someone cannot learn something new at our ages in life.

10/04/2006 03:18:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Well, just to set the record straight, the following conversation (or something like it) took place (without animus :-) after Loren read this post....

"You com-plete-ly misunderstood what I was saying. I was not referring to age, but ability. I could practice and practice and never attain proficiency on a keyboard."

"Ok. Well then, you should tell people and set the record straight."

"But then I would have to type out all those words....!"

"oh yeah....I guess I'll do it...."

So there.

Let the record be straight :-)

10/04/2006 07:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home