Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Monday, November 13, 2006

I is rich

A family which we know is whittling a few books from their *cough* ex-ten-sive collection and Kendra and I were allowed to rummage through two boxes yesterday.

We felt like we'd been let into the vault at Fort Knox.

Works by Shakespeare, Milton, Tennyson.

We already have Shakespeare's complete works, but Kendra snatched up several plays to add to her own collection.

I came away with "Best Known Works of Voltaire," and "B.K.W.of Ibson."

Also a couple of books by some guy called Mark Twain.

Oh yes...and "The Short Stories of De Maupassant." (not real familiar with this author but judging by the name, he was some cool French dude)

That was yesterday.

TODAY I stopped at the library and prostrated myself before the head librarian, renewed my books and was charged nada :-) (I think it helps that we haven't destroyed anything recently. "Oh, your children are so well behaved!" "Well...hmmmm.....*cough*.....not always, you know....."

There was a small number of used books for sale and for $1.25 I picked up:

-"1812: The War That Forged A Nation" by Walter R. Borneman (hardback)
(included in this volume is the bonus of a lime green sticky note which says, "Frank~Dave chose this book for you before he left. Betsy." There is no telling the significance and value this adds to the book, though apparently, not for Frank....)

-"The First World War: A Complete History" by Martin Gilbert (hardback)

-"A Treasury of Deception" by Michael Farquhar (paperback)

Don't know if these are worthy volumes but I could be persuaded to part with some, provided a decent amount of groveling occurred.

(I am going to read that last book, though. It's got the Piltdown Man in there, among other things....)

I almost feel vindicated for missing the organ concert.

Almost.
 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Ibsen, Maupassant, and Martin Gilbert are all good. Not sure about that Milton character.

11/14/2006 09:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home