Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Monday, April 14, 2008

Just Another Funsome Day

 
If you're ever planning to get your wisdom teeth pulled out, try not to develop a dry pocket.

Like Loren did.

April 1st was when he had one wisdom tooth extracted, and after the initial painfulness of that day, things were looking up...until the 6th, when pain started radiating around different parts of the face and head.

Sometimes it was bad, but most of the time it was sorta bearable. Yesterday however, things got worse. Mucho paino and then a low-grade fever in the evening.

We called up the good folks at Mayo and were allowed up to the hospital, where the dentist was doing surgery for the day. The doc was paged and Loren ushered into a procedure room.

His wisdom tooth had been lying horizontal and had left a large cavern after it's removal. No clot formed to cover the wound, so food gathered in that pocket, causing what the doctor referred to as "a dirty wound."

(at last, some dirt for which I can't be blamed)

They irrigated it over and over and then applied a special dressing which will dissolve over the next 48 hours. Loren may need to go back again for addition dressings as many as 4 or 5 times depending on how long the situation lasts.

The GOOD news is, that sliver of tooth that couldn't be extracted won't be causing any problems. (don't ask me why, probably just really intimidated)

We left in a hurry before noon and took along two of those "old people" drinks for our lunch. I had the Ensure...the kind that turns you into people that sit on the beach under an umbrella with sunscreen plastered across your nose. Loren had the other stuff that comes in a red bottle and makes you walk out of the surf clad in scuba gear.

Personally, I think we should have switched drinks. I'll tell you this though...they are not terribly filling and when you get back close to home it is very demoralizing to find out that the Kwik Star is all out of hot snacky foods, AS WELL AS HAVING RAISED THE PRICE OF GAS 5 CENTS SINCE YOU LEFT.

On another yet equally sick note, Trevor and Nolan were apparently NOT faking it yesterday when I said they had to go to church after they presented their sniffling selves and claimed to be sick....now they are coughing, talking an octave lower and have funny sounds in their lower lungs.

Makes me not feel guilty for leaving before the potluck dinner and afterward meeting.

I won't even TELL you about the two hours I unexpectedly spent scrubbing down two windows Sunday afternoon after Loren found mold colonies caused by the condensation.

But you know what "they" say about old houses....they have such character. This is mostly said by people who haven't had to clean mold off old windows that are rotted and ready to fall out--ha-ha-I-LOVE-living in the country!

My hands would still smell like bleach except for the fact that I stopped at the restroom in the hospital and now they smell like St. Mary's soap.

Don't mind me...another couple months of sunshine and I'll be as good as new.

At least I am home now where I can lose myself in sniffly kids.
 

2 Comments:

Blogger Thainamu said...

Sorry about the tooth pain. BTW, I think it is called dry socket although "pocket" makes some sense.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dry-socket/DS00778

I had that happen once and it was about the most painful thing I've ever experienced.

And just for more wisdom teeth horror stories, Gary also had a wisdom tooth lying horizontally and when they took it out they damaged the nerve that runs all the way to the midpoint of the chin. That means when he dribbles food all over his chin he can't feel it. So we've invented a kind of sign language so I can silently warn him he's looking like a slob when we're with company! :-)

4/14/2008 08:38:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Yeah, I realized later I should have written "socket." I was basically too lazy to change it.

Normally I would be quite quite compulsive and fix it, but yesterday was pretty stressful, more of which I'll post about, later.

4/15/2008 10:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home