Return to Duty
Ugh.
Ma's got a dark chocolate, buttered bagel hangover. Post Thanksgiving/Christmas, I resemble the Pillsbury Doughboy in girth as well as stature.
And apparently, I now snore.
It's getting harder and harder to maintain the glamorous persona so carefully crafted over the years.
Just as SOON as things get back to normal (read: last kid returns to college), I'll be starting the Ma Improvement Program for 2009. Possibly sooner, depending on my level of lethargy/desperation.
I've heard getting a hair cut can take ten pounds off your face, so that's the first step.
Speaking of returns, we received two calls last night, confirming that Jason is safely back at LeTourneau and Sharon in her cozy Hoosier chicken coop.
Only one more collegiate to go, not that we're anxious to get rid of Kendra or anything. But if I hear ONE MORE TIME, "When I'm a PA you guys are gonna be comin' to me for ALL your medical advice," I'm not quite sure what I'll do...
Hubris...it's a gift. (comes from the Hoyt side)
Today will be an effort of monumental proportions, and I'm not just talkin' about me climbing up into the van. We'll be off to the libraries AND doing the weekly shopping. Either one of those activities can be draining, but put them together and we pretty much have a recipe for a Ma meltdown.
Oh, why couldn't I just have a nice cushy job, like CEO of a financial institution?
Some things were not meant to be.
No, this country was founded on the average Joe Ma's, scuttling like prehistoric beetles in the economic understory, raising los kiddos and keeping the public libraries afloat with our overdue fines and lost books reimbursements.
All we ask is a few simple pleasures...the occasional Honey Crisp apple, a bag of Dove's, and the thrill of driving a 15 passenger van down formerly icy roads, with seven kids, two laundry baskets full of books, 7 large tote bags of books, multitudinous school books, and approximately 25 plastic grocery sacks filled with food, just waiting to be torn and drop their contents.
Should be a fun day!
Tweet
Ma's got a dark chocolate, buttered bagel hangover. Post Thanksgiving/Christmas, I resemble the Pillsbury Doughboy in girth as well as stature.
And apparently, I now snore.
It's getting harder and harder to maintain the glamorous persona so carefully crafted over the years.
Just as SOON as things get back to normal (read: last kid returns to college), I'll be starting the Ma Improvement Program for 2009. Possibly sooner, depending on my level of lethargy/desperation.
I've heard getting a hair cut can take ten pounds off your face, so that's the first step.
Speaking of returns, we received two calls last night, confirming that Jason is safely back at LeTourneau and Sharon in her cozy Hoosier chicken coop.
Only one more collegiate to go, not that we're anxious to get rid of Kendra or anything. But if I hear ONE MORE TIME, "When I'm a PA you guys are gonna be comin' to me for ALL your medical advice," I'm not quite sure what I'll do...
Hubris...it's a gift. (comes from the Hoyt side)
Today will be an effort of monumental proportions, and I'm not just talkin' about me climbing up into the van. We'll be off to the libraries AND doing the weekly shopping. Either one of those activities can be draining, but put them together and we pretty much have a recipe for a Ma meltdown.
Oh, why couldn't I just have a nice cushy job, like CEO of a financial institution?
Some things were not meant to be.
No, this country was founded on the average Joe Ma's, scuttling like prehistoric beetles in the economic understory, raising los kiddos and keeping the public libraries afloat with our overdue fines and lost books reimbursements.
All we ask is a few simple pleasures...the occasional Honey Crisp apple, a bag of Dove's, and the thrill of driving a 15 passenger van down formerly icy roads, with seven kids, two laundry baskets full of books, 7 large tote bags of books, multitudinous school books, and approximately 25 plastic grocery sacks filled with food, just waiting to be torn and drop their contents.
Should be a fun day!
Tweet

The Progeny
4 Comments:
Hubris...it's a gift. (comes from the Hoyt side)
teehee! SO true!
Trust y'all made it home okay from the shopping/library expedition. I can so relate with "keeping the public libraries afloat with our overdue fines and lost books reimbursements." EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. I went to the library I owed something. So maybe it's a good thing the libraries here are so pathetic and don't tempt me.
Oh, and there's the little matter of me not reading very well in Spanish too.
Well Kim, we DID make it back in one piece. And I didn't even get too crabby or weave back and forth across the road. That much.
What was amusing was all the ice still up by the house. I drove the van up to the garage and then sorta close to the porch and then we had a bucket brigade going.
A line extending from the van to the porch to offload all the grocery sacks and book bags.
It's still a sheet of ice around here and that saved people going back and forth and slipping over and over.
Wow. I just realized that's about the most boring thing I've ever written...
Boring? You've gotta be kidding!
Well, I thought my comment was pretty boring, yes :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home