Trevor Be Seven!
And with the end of February, another birthday is celebrated for Trevor-the-Wee-Laddie.
He actually snuffed zero candles on his first blow
(it's not gonna get any easier, kid)
Second present was a puzzle

One of four science books, the topic of which is ably demonstrated by the birthday boy.
Down in the left corner you may barely glimpse a blue tractor. This was the first present but it was all blurry in that picture.
Speaking of poor pictures...today's birthday photos are brought to you courtesy of a hand-held lamp...you can see that Nolan (holding the lamp) believes in plenty of light...

Oh boy! A fuzzy art picture. Move over, Elvis.

As you may remember, my flash no longer works so I pulled a lamp out of storage and had Ethan and Nolan take turns holding it....with mixed, yellow results. But without it, there would have been little of discernible value.
The birthday meal: Hot dogs and smoked sausage, cabbage salad (some with, some without onion), deviled eggs, and grapes. An option of sauerkraut (sweet, with caraway seeds) was added for those with discriminating tastes.
Dessert: Texas sheet cake and vanilla ice cream.
A good time was had by all, or at least, by those not suffering from cold symptoms, which was pretty much everyone but me.
Today I have felt worse, retiring to bed in between stints of school. But all the schoolwork got done, despite much wiping of nose and sneezes that border on screams.
Seriously. I have never sneezed so loud or screamy.
Perhaps I am allergic to my family.
Tweet
He actually snuffed zero candles on his first blow
Second present was a puzzle
One of four science books, the topic of which is ably demonstrated by the birthday boy.
Speaking of poor pictures...today's birthday photos are brought to you courtesy of a hand-held lamp...you can see that Nolan (holding the lamp) believes in plenty of light...
Oh boy! A fuzzy art picture. Move over, Elvis.
As you may remember, my flash no longer works so I pulled a lamp out of storage and had Ethan and Nolan take turns holding it....with mixed, yellow results. But without it, there would have been little of discernible value.
The birthday meal: Hot dogs and smoked sausage, cabbage salad (some with, some without onion), deviled eggs, and grapes. An option of sauerkraut (sweet, with caraway seeds) was added for those with discriminating tastes.
Dessert: Texas sheet cake and vanilla ice cream.
A good time was had by all, or at least, by those not suffering from cold symptoms, which was pretty much everyone but me.
Today I have felt worse, retiring to bed in between stints of school. But all the schoolwork got done, despite much wiping of nose and sneezes that border on screams.
Seriously. I have never sneezed so loud or screamy.
Perhaps I am allergic to my family.
Tweet

The Progeny
3 Comments:
Happy birthday, Trevor! Now I have to remember not to tell people you're going to be 6 soon... seems like that's the last age I was telling people. By the way, 7 is a great age to be. I remember enjoying 7. At 7 you're in the prime of life. Then the 8th birthday looms up and you get a little depressed, 'cause, you know, 8 is just so OLD.
Mommy (and Ethan and Nolan), great job on the lamp. It gives the pictures a beautiful warm quality. And makes you think Trevor has a golden angel halo.
Happy B-Day, Trevor!
And ma, what is a Texas sheet cake? An extra big one??
I have spent much time in consideration of that very thing.
This cake used to be a staple in the school cafeterias where I lunched in my elementary years.
It bakes in 20 minutes--the cake, with icing applied while still hot--so it is rather quick and easy.
But here's what I like to say is "el clincho":
The secret ingredient which makes the cake taste SO SCRUMPTIOUS is cinnamon. Now, cinnamon is an ingredient in Mexican desserts, and Mexico is sorta close to Texas...so, I'm thinkin' Mexican influenced sheet cake, from Texas.
Course, it is baked in a big sheet pan, so it may be as simple as that.
*does a bit of research*
There is also buttermilk in the cake, and one variation from the plain icing often used is to add pecans. And the Internet tells me that Texans are wild about both buttermilk and pecans.
(personally, I think MY idea makes a lotta sense, and perhaps it's just us northerners who have a plain, shiny icing)
Post a Comment
<< Home