Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Kids and Summer

It's summer, people! And that's why I started Nolan and Trevor on their remedial studies, today. All due to my exemplary teaching methods, in which I refrain from doing TOO good a job, thus depriving them and me of fun bonding during summer vacation.

My evil plan is working!

Of course, it's not all study and desperate attempts to placate the Des Moines Department of Education. Yesterday was a hot one, and Trevor easily persuaded me to set up the sprinkler.
A real high-tech gadget, but nothing is too good for my little slackers, oh no.

It was an ex-TREMELY drippy day, and the night ended up being a long one, with tornado watches and warnings. Thankfully, no injuries, unless you count our lost sleep.

Kendra and I were watching lightning out the west window and it was looking pret-ty fearsome, let me tell you. We were reassuring each other with, "Well, the trees are tall, so I'm sure they'll get hit before the house..."

Amazingly, no branches down despite being hit by two storm cells that had produced 80 mph straight winds to the southwest.

On to this morning. I blearily crawled out of bed, stumbled to the kitchen and was met by son Nolan, all excited over a wingless fly he'd found.
I didn't inquire as to whether the fly had been sans wings all along, or...*cough*...had met with some unfortunate "accident."

Sometimes it's best not to ask questions.

But this wingless critter was seriously creeping me out. Me, who with nary a thought picks up snakes, toads, disposes of dead mice or even finishes them off when the trap proves insufficient in snuffing power.

No telling where the thing came from or how it got that way. Maybe it ate something I threw out of the fridge and then mutated.

Ma. Saving the world from vermin, one moldy side dish at a time.

But enough of the appetite suppressants.

Nolan and Trevor have been playing quite nicely together--well, some of the time, anyway--with the Legos. It involves a castle...bombers and extraterrestrials...mmmm, bulldozers, I think.
Despite multiple plot incongruities, they've kept themselves busy without too much of the usual going-over-their-computer-game-time-and-frustrating-Mommy-to-death.

So far it's been a good summer.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home