Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Monday, August 22, 2011

SOME Day !

Crammed with mucho stuffo.

After getting the boys to remove bed linens, start the laundry, and have them pick up their room, (and water my trees) my main objective was to type up the curriculum lists and fill out the school forms. Then deposit them at the school on my way to shopping in Iowa Falls.

Then the fateful telephone call came...my glasses were in :-D

Hmmm. I had promised the kids one last summer fling: at the proper time, we would go over to Waverly, pick up my glasses, eat at McDonald's and visit the Kid's Kingdom park, one of those massive wooden structures.

The question was: could we do all of this, along with the school forms and weekly shopping, on the same day?

I promptly popped the Bach Brandenburg Concertos into the CD player and started in to typing.

The B. Concertos are a regular when I am preparing the forms for school, each year. They are pleasant, energetic (for the most part) and have a well-oiled feel to them that keeps the brain focused on the task at hand.

I had already written most of the curriculum out in longhand, and had even stacked the books in their appropriate piles on the dining room table. So it took just around 2 hours and I was done with everything! A new record for MA :-D

Then I hit the showers and we hightailed it to Ackley, with Carolyn driving despite a large grasshopper planting itself on the windshield. The forms were dropped off at the school, after which we cruised into the gas station for a fill-up.

Heading in the opposite direction, we made a stop at the bank to fill up on cash, heh, heh, thanks to a timely check that arrived in the mail. Loren is still in Texas, so I pretty much knew God was telling me to use my own judgement in that regard.

Still driving, Carolyn headed us north to hit highway 3, and then it was off to Waverly, home of the famous horse auction and....oh yes, our eye doctor.

Got to Wolfe Clinic and what do you know, Davis Vision--the lab that our insurance requires us to use--had messed up the order, again.

Let me be clear, our eye doctor and staff always do a great job, but when they send the prescriptions and orders to Davis Vision, Davis Vision has this incredible knack for not getting things done correctly.

Numerous times they have cut the lenses wrong and we've had to make a return trip--45 minutes, one way--for the right lenses.

This time they got the wrong color of frames. They are dark brown instead of olive green. But I'm taking them home while the tech tries to get the incompetent people at the lab--DAVIS VISION, in case I neglected to mention the name--to pony up the right frames.

Oh well. At least I have that cool, warped feeling with new lenses. That's something you don't want to miss!

It was off to McDonald's where we learned, the hard way, that if you're ordering meal #10 it is easily confused with meal #9. One of them is a sparse piece of chicken with a pickle. One of them is a luscious looking hunk of chicken with lots of fixin's. Hey McDonald's....your picture format is misleading!

You have been warned.

Still it was goodsome eating. Not only did Ethan get two double cheeseburgers, but they had Fox News on the TV! Pretty much heaven for him, I guess. I was just there for the air conditioning and fries.

Next we hit the Kid's Kingdom playground, where Trevor demonstrated his gymnastic prowess.
And he made sure I was watching and taking a picture, before he leapt.

I like this one of Nolan, even if a few leaves are in the way...
...he comes across as rather serene and contemplative.

We live in hope.

Next was a stop at the newest Goodwill store in the land, and boy was it clean! I was hoping for tennis shoes for Nolan, since his are pathetic beyond belief (pictures, another time). Alas, no shoes, but they did have large sunglasses to fit over Ma's new specs! Only $2.35, so I sprang for Nolan, Carolyn and Trevor. The four of us look so cool ! Ethan begged to decline, stricken with a severe case of sensibility.

On to Wal*Mart!

Among the usual weekly shopping suspects, I bought a cheap pair of tennis shoes for Nolan. He is happy as a clam, and strangely enough does not miss his old ones, which were split clear across the top.

At last we headed for home. And since we'd eaten lunch so late (after 3:00) it was one of those "make an egg or fix a sandwich for supper" deals, eaten while collapsed on the couches, watching "Chicken Run."

Ahhh, a pretty good day :-)

Oh yes, here's a glimpse of my new specs. The picture is blurry but frankly, that's in my favor.


I am NOT that wild-eyed, but at least you get the idea. Though remember, the frames are supposed to be lighter...oh well. Now the husband won't be completely shocked and faint dead away when he returns from Texas.

Think we'll take it easy, tomorrow. The six and a half hours, particularly when 5 of us were in a small Toyota sans air conditioning, was enough to make the Hoytstead appear rather attractive.

(and no, I do NOT know why the last couple paragraphs are underlined...but I strongly suspect either Davis Vision or McDonald's to be at fault)

{late breaking update....am I clever, or what? I had to cut and paste the pictures, after they'd been originally posted in the wrong order. So I knew that the underlining of text after the last picture was due to that. Also, there were a few HTML symbols after the first two pictures. SOOO. Ma carefully compared the HTML on correct pictures from other days, and fixed it all up! No more underlining at the end, and no stray symbols. Hey, I am not a techie, and yet,

I---WIN}
 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, I think the darker frames look absolutely fantastic!

Very pretty :D

Kendra

8/22/2011 11:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home