7 Days Down, 77 to Go
That is an approximate number. The 90 days one has to stay close to the clinic for observation and tests starts with the date of operation, which was Nov. 8. So, a rough estimate of when we will be able to return home would be around the 8th of February.
More tests and doctor appts. today, with everything still looking good. Loren was given a prescription for a lozenge to take care of a little thrush in the back of his throat. That is not uncommon for a transplant patient, considering his immunosuppressed condition.
He feels a little less pain each day, and was actually able to sleep on his right side for a while last night. Yesterday we upped the daily walks to 15 minutes each, instead of 10. Everyone keeps saying, "The more you get up and around, the better." It is hard to break the mindset of ten years, but Loren is trying. At least he shouldn't have to worry about suddenly collapsing with an arryhthmia, as before.
Today we visited the doctor who will be setting up cardiac rehab for Loren. He said the main thing to overcome will be 10 years of deconditioning. We have heard stories of a man with a heart transplant running in a marathon! I don't think that will be in Loren's future. He received a new heart, not a new personality :-)
I was able to get up to the 15th floor of the Mayo building to receive my flu shot this morning. The nurse was extremely sociable and chatty. She was one of 7 children, with heart problems running strong in her family. Nurse K. wanted to know if there was anything she and her family could do for us or our family over Thanksgiving and Christmas :-) There certainly are a lot of wonderful people up here.
My arm is somewhat sore, but I am not complaining, oh no. When you live with someone who has life-threatening arrhythmias (and now a transplant) you feel like such a whiner unless it's a brain tumor, or something. *sniff*
____________________________
I've been perusing the college blog scene, in my limited way, and there seems to be a plethora of personality-type quizzes. (I only take the short ones :-) For example, I have found out just recently, that if I were a molecule, I would be a "neurotransmitter." And, if I could be categorized in the Narnia series, I would be the book, "The Horse and His Boy." It's difficult to envision a small molecule astride a horse. But then, I am only a lowly housewife, my esoteric dreams having been scarce, of late.
Inspired by all this "identify your niche in the unreal world," craze, I have decided to formulate my own little quiz. I call it the, "IF YOU COULD BE DESCRIBED IN ONE WORD, WHAT WOULD IT BE, AND, DON'T YOU THINK IT'S ABOUT TIME WE CUT TO THE CHASE AND DECLARED "MA" TO BE THE WINNER? quiz. I took it over and over and kept coming up with the same thing....
"Ma," you are: SUBLIME ("Humble" being a close second)
Well, whaddya know?
Tweet
More tests and doctor appts. today, with everything still looking good. Loren was given a prescription for a lozenge to take care of a little thrush in the back of his throat. That is not uncommon for a transplant patient, considering his immunosuppressed condition.
He feels a little less pain each day, and was actually able to sleep on his right side for a while last night. Yesterday we upped the daily walks to 15 minutes each, instead of 10. Everyone keeps saying, "The more you get up and around, the better." It is hard to break the mindset of ten years, but Loren is trying. At least he shouldn't have to worry about suddenly collapsing with an arryhthmia, as before.
Today we visited the doctor who will be setting up cardiac rehab for Loren. He said the main thing to overcome will be 10 years of deconditioning. We have heard stories of a man with a heart transplant running in a marathon! I don't think that will be in Loren's future. He received a new heart, not a new personality :-)
I was able to get up to the 15th floor of the Mayo building to receive my flu shot this morning. The nurse was extremely sociable and chatty. She was one of 7 children, with heart problems running strong in her family. Nurse K. wanted to know if there was anything she and her family could do for us or our family over Thanksgiving and Christmas :-) There certainly are a lot of wonderful people up here.
My arm is somewhat sore, but I am not complaining, oh no. When you live with someone who has life-threatening arrhythmias (and now a transplant) you feel like such a whiner unless it's a brain tumor, or something. *sniff*
____________________________
I've been perusing the college blog scene, in my limited way, and there seems to be a plethora of personality-type quizzes. (I only take the short ones :-) For example, I have found out just recently, that if I were a molecule, I would be a "neurotransmitter." And, if I could be categorized in the Narnia series, I would be the book, "The Horse and His Boy." It's difficult to envision a small molecule astride a horse. But then, I am only a lowly housewife, my esoteric dreams having been scarce, of late.
Inspired by all this "identify your niche in the unreal world," craze, I have decided to formulate my own little quiz. I call it the, "IF YOU COULD BE DESCRIBED IN ONE WORD, WHAT WOULD IT BE, AND, DON'T YOU THINK IT'S ABOUT TIME WE CUT TO THE CHASE AND DECLARED "MA" TO BE THE WINNER? quiz. I took it over and over and kept coming up with the same thing....
"Ma," you are: SUBLIME ("Humble" being a close second)
Well, whaddya know?
Tweet

The Progeny
1 Comments:
Thanks, Stan. That will be a new experience for me, since I have not ever been able to improve my strength or endurance much through exercise, at least since my first entry into college.
Post a Comment
<< Home