Ma Rehabs Español
More rehab, today. Loren said they moved it up a notch, and he seems to have survived. That ol' wheelchair is out of the picture, for good!
We checked our calendars and wondered why the medicos had not scheduled us for the next Cyto-gam treatment. They wondered too! Someone forgot, but we had it done today, only one day late. It was scheduled for 2:30, but did not start until 3:30, and finished about 6. *sigh* We had a different room this time, and my first reaction was, "What, no TV?!" The reason I hadn't spied it was because instead of the usual black monolith, there was a little nine-inch monitor connected to the wall by an arm. The whole TV set-up is highly reminiscent of those adjustable light fixtures at the dental office. I only banged my head on it three times. Nothing much on TV that time of day, so we settled for "Andy Griffith." But Loren drew the line at "Leave it to Beaver," which came next. Not even a hokey Christmas movie to watch.
Tomorrow will be yet another biopsy. Four weeks in a row and THEN it goes to every two weeks. I just love getting up at 5:30 in the morning. That will be the last big day of appointments for this week. There are one hour rehab sessions on Wed. and Thurs.
And now, it is time for a the newest regular update on the blog:
"Ma's Daily Spanish Carnage"
I finished lesson 3 today. We learned about possessives and definite and indefinite articles, the latter of which is defined as "any item that has been in my purse for over 6 months."
In this particular grammar book, the answers are not given, but I think I am doing fairly well. I am finally understanding my sons and their struggles in Greek, though. They have claimed that questions are asked for which material has not always been covered. Well, boys, sometimes you just have to improvise a little. For instance, here is an example of some of the possessive stuff I learned today: "Yo tengo tener chocolate. Pronto!" ("I have to have chocolate. Now!")
I had to sorta guess at that exclamatory word. Am I right, or am I thinking of the Lone Ranger's horse.....?
Tweet
We checked our calendars and wondered why the medicos had not scheduled us for the next Cyto-gam treatment. They wondered too! Someone forgot, but we had it done today, only one day late. It was scheduled for 2:30, but did not start until 3:30, and finished about 6. *sigh* We had a different room this time, and my first reaction was, "What, no TV?!" The reason I hadn't spied it was because instead of the usual black monolith, there was a little nine-inch monitor connected to the wall by an arm. The whole TV set-up is highly reminiscent of those adjustable light fixtures at the dental office. I only banged my head on it three times. Nothing much on TV that time of day, so we settled for "Andy Griffith." But Loren drew the line at "Leave it to Beaver," which came next. Not even a hokey Christmas movie to watch.
Tomorrow will be yet another biopsy. Four weeks in a row and THEN it goes to every two weeks. I just love getting up at 5:30 in the morning. That will be the last big day of appointments for this week. There are one hour rehab sessions on Wed. and Thurs.
And now, it is time for a the newest regular update on the blog:
"Ma's Daily Spanish Carnage"
I finished lesson 3 today. We learned about possessives and definite and indefinite articles, the latter of which is defined as "any item that has been in my purse for over 6 months."
In this particular grammar book, the answers are not given, but I think I am doing fairly well. I am finally understanding my sons and their struggles in Greek, though. They have claimed that questions are asked for which material has not always been covered. Well, boys, sometimes you just have to improvise a little. For instance, here is an example of some of the possessive stuff I learned today: "Yo tengo tener chocolate. Pronto!" ("I have to have chocolate. Now!")
I had to sorta guess at that exclamatory word. Am I right, or am I thinking of the Lone Ranger's horse.....?
Tweet

The Progeny
8 Comments:
Ma, the word you are looking for is "¡ahora!" (, the 'h' is silent, alt 173 is the upside down exclamation point.) You will find in one of your later lessons that questions have an upside down question mark at the front (alt 2216) and the same applies for exclamatory sentences. (Roommate you see my big word there???) I wanted to tell ya, mom and dad, that my family is praying for you. My great-grandmother is always happy to hear the great news that I bring. Ma, thanks for letting me see her smile by providing me with news and will you guys pray for her, she isn't doing well at all :( . Anyways.. enjoy waking early tomorrow and I'll understand the agony of 5:30 come Wednesday morning.
oops.. I forgot to say who the "anonymous" was from. It was me.. your 11th Child, Heather.
While "improvise" means to do something without preparation, modern usage carries with it the imperative-suggestive "go to Google." For this particular dilemma, Google deigned to provide "Language Tools" (right on their home page). A "Translate text from Spanish to English" for your words "I must have chocolate now!" provides the answer with that deeper level of insight one has come to expect from Google: ¡tengo que comer chocolate ahora! Now you have come to see the true meaning: "I must *eat* chocolate now!" This translation carries with it a fuller sense of your unspoken desire, your ultimate underlying intent. Google knows.
;^) Anson
P.S. - God bless y'all! Your news has been encouraging.
According to Peruvian usage, the best way to convey that you need chocolate right now is "Tengo que tener chocolate ahorita" or "Necessito chocolate ahorita"
We (Peter and Donna) are so glad to hear that Loren is doing well. Also enjoying your special kind of humor.
Have a merry Christmas! God bless you both! We are praying for you every day, several times each day.
The Lone Ranger's horse was "Silver" and his sidekick was "Tonto". You were probably thinking of him...
Thank you for all the Spanish help! (My plan to elicit feedback was successful)
Thank you too, for all the prayers.
Hey "anonymous," you're right about the Tonto bit. Too bad I don't know who you are, so I can laud you properly.....
Sorry, I forgot to post my name... The Lone Ranger expert is your favorite nephew, David! :-)
David! He lives!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home