Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Friday, December 17, 2004

New Med

After a long day at the clinic, we returned to the room to find the message light blinking on the phone. A new drug to add to all the others, named Pravachol. (I think that makes 10) After looking this up on the Web, we thought Loren's cholestrol might be too high. But a call from the coordinator informed us that it is also given to prevent cardiac allograft vasculopathy. Great. Another new thing to worry about. Loren remembers hearing something about this before transplant, but I drew a blank.

Apparently, the risk of coronary artery disease in a transplant patient is not the clot-type blockage, but an even narrowing of the artery walls. So, to prevent this from occurring, or at least reduce the risk, enter Pravachol, typically used for lowering cholestrol.

I put on my tennies and walked back to the pharmacy. It is only 3 blocks. A very cold 3 blocks, I might add. Still, a Ma has to get her exercise.

Everything was fairly routine, with today's rehab and other clinic appointments. We did see one new doctor, a consult from the CV Health Clinic. The exercise guys. She went through the different places where Loren is still experiencing pain. Had him walk, poked and prodded, and found out about his weak right leg. (Back when he was first given an angiogram, in 1995, he suffered a complication of excessive bleeding, which led to a hematoma, which became a blood clot that settled on his right femoral nerve, and basically destroyed it. He still has some numbness - she couldn't get it to "bounce" when she hit his knee with the rubber hammer - but he can use it) That leg never fully recovered, so they will be starting him on some physical therapy. We came for a check on the broken ribs and crushed vertabrae, but left with physical therapy for the leg! There was also talk of renting some machine to give pain therapy for his back. I'll be more specific when I can.
_________________

Well, Ardith has arrived home! Just got it hot over the Instant Message "wires." Dad called earlier, and he and Mom are safely back in Indiana. I can sleep tonight! I won't tell you what horrible things I was imagining last evening in bed. Never read Steven King, after five. It's sorta like caffeine. Stays with you for a bit.

Now, if we could just get that crazy oven at home to work again.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home