One Home, Three to Go
"Now, CALL us when you get in!"
"Alright, " my dad chuckled, "we will."
Word has it that Sharon is safely home. *happy sigh* My mom and dad leave in the morning for Indiana. Kinda funny, Sharon comes FROM Indiana, and they go back TO Indiana.
Ardith is on her way to (or at) Tulsa, a short 5 hour drive to her Aunt Elizabeth's. She will be treated royally and then start off on the final 9 hour leg to Iowa tomorrow. I will breathe a little easier when all the parties are at their appointed destinations.
We had nothing on the itinerary today, so I walked down to St. Mary's Hospital for the Caregiver's Support Group meeting. I felt a little guilty, since I was the only one with a transplanted spouse. All the rest were women waiting for their husbands to get a new lease on life. There was also a married couple waiting on behalf of their 20 year old son. Ryan is already a cancer survivor from the age of 8, 9, and 10. The chemo he experienced back then weakened his heart. An episode with a virus did further damage, and now he and his parents wait and pray. He has deteriorated this week, and he has O positive blood. Rare blood means a longer wait. It is getting increasingly difficult not to get emotionally involved. All we can do is pray for these people as we learn about them.
__________________
Tomorrow is another busy day of appointments, rehab, a quick lunch and more afternoon office visits. We are hoping that the record of 3 perfect biopsies will put us on the 2 week schedule. After two of those, it's down to one biopsy per month, which continues for the first year. Eventually, we will get to the point where we only have to come to Mayo every 3 months, then 6 months, then, (dare we hope?) once per year.
Happy Birthday greetings go out to number 3 son, Ethan, who turns 8 tomorrow. "Wish we could be there, Ethan-boy." *swallows lump* I owe you about 1000 or so hugs and kisses, which I promise to make up, believe me :-) I can hardly wait to hear how well you can read now. Hope you have stopped running from room to room and crashing into people. It's endearing, but dangerous.
Speaking of reading, that is one thing I can accomplish better here, than at home. Much as I miss the children, I have many quiet moments to lose in literature. The pickings, though, are somewhat limited. A lot of romance and mysteries. I've been passing up Danielle Steele (hard as that may be *choke*) and picking some of the authors I've heard of who have slightly higher reputations. I thought I'd actually found something of worth when I espied, "Much Ado About Nothing." But upon closer inspection, I realized someone had borrowed "Will's" famous title for some detective drivel. I did chance upon Hemingway's, "The Sun Also Rises, " and brought it back to the room. Back in junior high school, I attempted "The Old Man and the Sea," but cast it aside. However, I am determined to get one of Hemingway's books under my belt. Then I can at least slice it to ribbons with a clear conscience. I'll start on it as soon as I finish, "The Hope," by Herman Wouk.
I guess that's enough name dropping, for now.
Shalom
Tweet
"Alright, " my dad chuckled, "we will."
Word has it that Sharon is safely home. *happy sigh* My mom and dad leave in the morning for Indiana. Kinda funny, Sharon comes FROM Indiana, and they go back TO Indiana.
Ardith is on her way to (or at) Tulsa, a short 5 hour drive to her Aunt Elizabeth's. She will be treated royally and then start off on the final 9 hour leg to Iowa tomorrow. I will breathe a little easier when all the parties are at their appointed destinations.
We had nothing on the itinerary today, so I walked down to St. Mary's Hospital for the Caregiver's Support Group meeting. I felt a little guilty, since I was the only one with a transplanted spouse. All the rest were women waiting for their husbands to get a new lease on life. There was also a married couple waiting on behalf of their 20 year old son. Ryan is already a cancer survivor from the age of 8, 9, and 10. The chemo he experienced back then weakened his heart. An episode with a virus did further damage, and now he and his parents wait and pray. He has deteriorated this week, and he has O positive blood. Rare blood means a longer wait. It is getting increasingly difficult not to get emotionally involved. All we can do is pray for these people as we learn about them.
__________________
Tomorrow is another busy day of appointments, rehab, a quick lunch and more afternoon office visits. We are hoping that the record of 3 perfect biopsies will put us on the 2 week schedule. After two of those, it's down to one biopsy per month, which continues for the first year. Eventually, we will get to the point where we only have to come to Mayo every 3 months, then 6 months, then, (dare we hope?) once per year.
Happy Birthday greetings go out to number 3 son, Ethan, who turns 8 tomorrow. "Wish we could be there, Ethan-boy." *swallows lump* I owe you about 1000 or so hugs and kisses, which I promise to make up, believe me :-) I can hardly wait to hear how well you can read now. Hope you have stopped running from room to room and crashing into people. It's endearing, but dangerous.
Speaking of reading, that is one thing I can accomplish better here, than at home. Much as I miss the children, I have many quiet moments to lose in literature. The pickings, though, are somewhat limited. A lot of romance and mysteries. I've been passing up Danielle Steele (hard as that may be *choke*) and picking some of the authors I've heard of who have slightly higher reputations. I thought I'd actually found something of worth when I espied, "Much Ado About Nothing." But upon closer inspection, I realized someone had borrowed "Will's" famous title for some detective drivel. I did chance upon Hemingway's, "The Sun Also Rises, " and brought it back to the room. Back in junior high school, I attempted "The Old Man and the Sea," but cast it aside. However, I am determined to get one of Hemingway's books under my belt. Then I can at least slice it to ribbons with a clear conscience. I'll start on it as soon as I finish, "The Hope," by Herman Wouk.
I guess that's enough name dropping, for now.
Shalom
Tweet

The Progeny
2 Comments:
Great to hear good results on recent testing! And impressed to hear wheelchair may no longer be needed! Praise the Lord!
I had been wondering about your source of reading material. I guess it's from the house there? Sure would be great if you could have access to a church library in the area -- maybe if you called and explained your circumstances? I've really enjoyed Brock and Bodie Thoene's historical fiction. Don't know if you would enjoy Jan Karon or not.
Also wonder if it might even be possible to get a card for the local library -- could always ask. A piece of mail with our local address on it was sufficient to get a card even when we were located here temporarily.
the other Nancy
I believe this is where a member of the SC Literati has to chime in and complain about the choice of Danielle Steele as reading material. If we'd known that you were in such a bad way, we would have sent back some quality reading material, like some G.K. Chesterton, Charles Williams and other classic authors. While I can't say as I wholly approve of the nonsensical romanticism of Hemingway, at least it isn't Danielle Steele. We'll see if we can't find you some quality Melville, Twain and Dostoevsky to send your way...
Post a Comment
<< Home