Potential
Ah, the start of school. That time of year when we welcome the smell of new textbooks and kiss expanded summer game-time goodbye.
I am glad for the following:
-Ardith is happily tapping away at her wonderful computer job each day and making the world safe for democracy.
-Sharon is picking up "ye olde Spanishe" and enjoying her time in Argentina, where she has influenced her hostess to eat oatmeal for breakfast.
-Jason has made it through his first class--history--pronounced it "probably boring" and someone has scrounged up a calculator for him (new ones cost $180.00 at the bookstore!!) Most importantly, he had to wear his new suit for yearbook pictures yesterday. How I WISH I could have been there to see him, all resplendent in black suit, white shirt, tie and black tennis shoes. (good shoes arrive tomorrow)
-Bossy Ma is reassigning a few chores: kids clean the kitchen floor twice per week, and Kendra and Melinda take over the bread making. Nolan has taken his slot with the dishwasher, though I still have to oversee and help him.
But mostly, I am thankful that my computer did not break down until AFTER I had typed, printed and collated the forms for six homeschool students.
We officially start the day after Labor Day, since I have this thing about kids getting a full summer. With no fog delays, no snow days and no parent/teacher conferences--aside from the occasional consorting of teacher and principal--we should easily et in the required time.
(crazy "g" doesn't work riht......GGGGGGGGGGggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg...there, that makes me feel better)
Continuing on this educational theme, I must sadly report that Ma took the "Word Geek goes Latin!" quiz (third heading on right) and only got 16 of 20 correct. I missed the last four and most difficult questions.
But I am not the only one "out of the know." Apparently many science books still teach the standard taste map of the tongue, even though it has been proven to be wrong. Wow. Just goes to show you that if repeated over and over, these pet theories--(Evolution, anyone?)--will eventually be treated as gospel truth.
Oops, pardon that reference to the Veritas.
Proceeding with more tonguish stuff, check out the newly patented inventions, here.
Well, that's all the time we have today for educational edification. I have a date with some more ragweed this afternoon, as well as a few neglected flower beds.
This is Ma, reminding everyone that not all knowledge comes from books.
Veni, vidi, herba mala vici.
Tweet

The Progeny
3 Comments:
Long live Latin! Without it, where would be French, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Italian, Romansh, ... ?
Well that was fun! And I beat you (didn't think that would happen). Misses were evenly distributed across levels. (I did get all the easy ones.) Score: 17 out ot 20. Of course, if I were really good, I would be able to make a snide - but appropriate - comment in Latin.
Well done, Cousin Terry :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home