Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Monday, October 09, 2006

Crafty, Thrifty Ma

It has been a reasonably productive day. To the amazement of most family members, I brought in the pumpkin, cut it up and stewed her down for pies on Thanksgiving.
 
This activity is all the more astounding given the fact that we did not plant pumpkins this year. Two grew up as volunteers from the ones I neglected last year.

Poor Ethan. After all the trouble of planting, watching and making feeble attempts to cultivate last year....only to have his procrastinating mother neglect the pumpkin cook-off SO long as to cause consternation and mold.

And not necessarily in that order.

But I have redeemed myself! This year, there will be authentically homemade pumpkin pies from authentically homegrown pumpkins.

There will BE no snide, squash-related comments THIS year.

Naturally, that would be enough to keep Ma going for the rest of the week....but just let me tell you about my amazing buy at Good-WILL today...no, let me SHOW you:
 
On the left is a short-sleeved jean dress by Karen Scott. Notice the price tag on the right side. If you could but see it you would observe the little number $29.00. Yes, that's right. Some store wanted almost 30 bucks for that garment.

It's never been worn (hence, the tags) and I snatched it up for a mere 4 buckeroos.

*bows modestly*

Now, take a gander to the right, at the cutesy checkered summerish outfit. Again bearing price tags. (this time by Sag Harbor...and no, not JUST Sag Harbor, but Sag Harbor Sport)

Let's see, what are the prices on these two complimentary items? Hmmm, it looks like $30.00 for the top, and another $30.00 for the capris pants.

And what did Ma pay for this perfectly new ensemble? I admit, it cost a little more. Five dollars.

That makes......approximately $90.00 worth of clothing for only nine dollars!

*grins gloatingly*

(one, two, three, four..)

"Who--da Ma?
Bestest of dem aw..
She can find da bargains as we stan an gape our jaw."

"She--be cool.
Ain't nobody's fool.
Tells us how you does it, Ma, we caint hep but drool."

"You--so fine.
Love youse all da time.
Savin' lots o' money is a callin' mos sublime."

"Who--da Ma?
Who--da Ma?....
Who--da Ma.....?"
  

4 Comments:

Blogger MoM said...

Easier than stewing pumpkins is to bake them in the oven till soft and scrape out the insides. I just cut them in half and flip them over in a pan with a little water and bake and come back and take the soft stuff from inside. Then place in a strainer for a short while to let some of the water drain away....then mix and bake or freeze.

10/09/2006 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

And now that you mention this, I remember doing exactly that with some butternut squash a year or two ago.

*smacks forehead*

Well, I still have the other pumpkin to do....

Thanks, MoM :-)

10/10/2006 09:25:00 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Oh Mommy, you're so humble that I almost hate to mention it.

Please, please, can you save me one piece of genuine pumpkin pie for two weeks? Nope, I guess that's asking too much. If you have enough, save the pumpkin for one pie and I promise I'll make it myself, plus I'll help you with Christmas dinner. Deal?

10/10/2006 03:47:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Actually, I'm thinkin' we'll get two pies outta the first one, and maybe one more from the 2nd, smaller pumpkin.

Either way, don't worry. We'll have a pumpkin pie for Christmas!

(though frankly, the stuff looks and tastes a LOT like squash....but don't tell your dad)

10/10/2006 06:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home