Life at Prairie Bridges
As an illustration of that whole cloud/silver lining business, my having forgotten to buy milk yesterday led to a run into town and an excellent excuse to stop by Prairie Bridges :-)
(I just need to get out once in a while to feel halfways alive and store up a few good vibes to keep me going till the next park visit)
Hmmm, looks like some water overran one of my trails...

That's ok.
I heard a flutter of wings, turned around and there was a Downy Woodpecker!

And then something moving in the water caught my eye...
...a beaver?
Too small. Must be a muskrat. I followed him along a convenient path beside the pond. I could have run faster than he swam, but I was trying to be very quiet, since I'd gotten to that spot by following a woodpecker from tree to tree...and walking right underneath the bird (who agreeably stayed put on its perch) I came to a little bridge...
...where Mister Musk popped into a hole under a bridge.
At least, that's what it sounded like.
Then, I quietly crept back down the lane to see the bird with the raspy sounding call...
...YES! It looks to be a Yellow Shafted (or Northern) Flicker :-)
Another bird in the same area, who's call had also led me along...
...a cardinal. This is the first time they've let me photograph them. Usually they just fly away.
Another angle, from underneath.

The day was overcast, so not the best time to snare captivating pics. I had to use all 36x of zoom power, just to get the cardinal and flicker within passable view.
The ever present geese. When they fly you can see the nice banding effect on the tail.

Geese remind me of politicians. Proud, loud and much enamored with their own importance. Strident and demanding, they leave a mess wherever they go.
They also like handouts.
Fun to watch occasionally, you wouldn't want them living next door to you.
___________
Welp, that's all for today's look at the park.
I'll have to remember to forget the milk more often.
Tweet
(I just need to get out once in a while to feel halfways alive and store up a few good vibes to keep me going till the next park visit)
Hmmm, looks like some water overran one of my trails...
That's ok.
I heard a flutter of wings, turned around and there was a Downy Woodpecker!
And then something moving in the water caught my eye...
Too small. Must be a muskrat. I followed him along a convenient path beside the pond. I could have run faster than he swam, but I was trying to be very quiet, since I'd gotten to that spot by following a woodpecker from tree to tree...and walking right underneath the bird (who agreeably stayed put on its perch) I came to a little bridge...
...where Mister Musk popped into a hole under a bridge.
Then, I quietly crept back down the lane to see the bird with the raspy sounding call...
Another bird in the same area, who's call had also led me along...
Another angle, from underneath.
The day was overcast, so not the best time to snare captivating pics. I had to use all 36x of zoom power, just to get the cardinal and flicker within passable view.
The ever present geese. When they fly you can see the nice banding effect on the tail.
Geese remind me of politicians. Proud, loud and much enamored with their own importance. Strident and demanding, they leave a mess wherever they go.
They also like handouts.
Fun to watch occasionally, you wouldn't want them living next door to you.
___________
Welp, that's all for today's look at the park.
I'll have to remember to forget the milk more often.
Tweet

The Progeny
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home