Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

One in the hospital and 4200 sniffs per hour

The fun just keeps comin' folks!

First of all, I don't think anything terrible is happening, but Loren is up at St. Mary's for tests.

Last evening he developed a fever and when it got to be the highest he'd had since transplant, we called up Mayo. They gave us the option of going local (30 minutes away) or coming back up to Rochester for the second time that day (2 hrs 20 minutes).

Given that going local can mean a lot of running around in the long run, we chose the long run in the short run.

By the time we left, his temp had gone to 101.4, though it mysteriously decreased on the way up and was basically normal by the time we got there.

Still, they are pretty protective of their transplant patients at Mayo so they decided to admit him for tests. He probably has what Nolan and Trevor experienced last week.

Loren will stay up at Rochester for another night. I was going to stay a bit but around 2:30am I decided to beat it outta there. Looking back I think this was the right decision. There are lots of good folks to take care of Loren, but the kids need me: the little ones need cuddling and corralling from time to time, and the big ones don't need the stress of added responsibility. At least not more than they've already had these past weeks.

They were all relieved to wake up and find me back home. And I was relieved to have returned safely. When we left there was still a faint glow in the western sky. When I returned there was a faint glow in the east. In between there was no sleep, but I have taken several naps, since.

Speaking of Trevor and Nolan...they have developed coughs, particularly Trevor who tends to be croupy. Other than that, they aren't doing too badly, but have become quite the proficient sniffers. Trevor's good for 40 sniffs per minute and Nolan a little less at 30, adding up to title's enumeration above.

We've been reading a lot of books.

I figure I did enough driving yesterday to just about get out see Kendra and Sharon. I did enough sitting to get there and back.

And I have to admit that it is something of a relief to return home, be with the kids, and let someone else worry about Loren for a day or so.

Some people might not understand that attitude, but I suspect a few will.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home