Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Friday, April 04, 2008

Quick Question...

 
One of my inquisitive students asked me what the "c" means in a cited work for a paper listing a year, e.g. c1978.

Being equally inquisitive and additionally ignorant, I googled it but got nowhere.

So now I am inquisitive, ignorant, AND intrepid, in asking for some help.

I'll just bet Thainamu knows...

Thanks for the answer I know is coming.
 

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe it is an abreviation for "circa". Meaning approximately this date. Or around this date.
However, I might be proven wrong and I can live with that.
Mr. J.

4/04/2008 11:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is circa as previously mentioned.

4/04/2008 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger Thainamu said...

In the context of a bibliography, c=circa would be likely. In other contexts it could be the author didn't have the copyright symbol at their disposal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_symbol

4/04/2008 01:04:00 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Thanks very much, everyone :-)

This could come in very handy...fer instance, I now weigh c125 lbs.

4/04/2008 01:26:00 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Definitely "circa".

4/05/2008 11:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home