Where Past and Future Meet
Fear not...no near death experiences for today's post :-)
When we used to live in Indiana, there was a picture that somehow took my fancy. Painted by an American Artist, Winslow Homer, it was entitled "Girl and Laurel."
There's no telling why a person is struck by one image or another, but this work always seemed so very beautiful to me. But back then I was rather more sensible and frugal than now. The thought of buying something just for the joy of gazing at it seemed pretty frivolous, particularly when one could instead buy meat for supper.
I forgot all about that odd obsession. Things such as figuring out the ins and outs of homeschooling, and babies arriving every other year took precedence.
Roughly 23 years have passed, until I wandered into my local Goodwill store last summer.
I often head first to the book section, but was distracted by a large picture sitting against the wall.
You don't often see large framed copies of paintings in Goodwill--other than someone's jigsaw puzzle or a paint by number horror--so I picked it up, just out of curiosity.
It looked vaguely familiar and a search for the signature revealed...Homer...Homer...that name rang a bell....where had I heard that before?
Scales fell from my eyes and I went a little weak in the knees.
It cost all of 11 dollars...

Right now it is stuck behind a stack of clothes in our bedroom, but eventually it will be on the wall it leans against in the picture above.
Currently that is the little boys' room. But come fall, when Derek leaves for college, I'll move Trevor and Nolan over with Ethan.
Then...THEN will things be afoot!
It will start with scraping the ceiling and walls and painting everything...even the ugly dark brown floor. Out shall go the dressers painted in pastels for babies, now gone. Tractor pillows and yes, even Pooky Bear shall be banished.
Instead, a large overstuffed chair, the bed angled from a corner, a lamp and bookshelves. THE PICTURE hung on the wall. Other artists too shall enter, but they will not be allowed the same backdrop as THE PICTURE.
In name, a guest room, but basically it will be my little retreat. A place--other than the bathroom--where I can close the door and read in peace.
A place to have a quiet snore to myself.
After all, if a snore falls alone, is it even heard?
Tweet
When we used to live in Indiana, there was a picture that somehow took my fancy. Painted by an American Artist, Winslow Homer, it was entitled "Girl and Laurel."
There's no telling why a person is struck by one image or another, but this work always seemed so very beautiful to me. But back then I was rather more sensible and frugal than now. The thought of buying something just for the joy of gazing at it seemed pretty frivolous, particularly when one could instead buy meat for supper.
I forgot all about that odd obsession. Things such as figuring out the ins and outs of homeschooling, and babies arriving every other year took precedence.
Roughly 23 years have passed, until I wandered into my local Goodwill store last summer.
I often head first to the book section, but was distracted by a large picture sitting against the wall.
You don't often see large framed copies of paintings in Goodwill--other than someone's jigsaw puzzle or a paint by number horror--so I picked it up, just out of curiosity.
It looked vaguely familiar and a search for the signature revealed...Homer...Homer...that name rang a bell....where had I heard that before?
Scales fell from my eyes and I went a little weak in the knees.
It cost all of 11 dollars...

Right now it is stuck behind a stack of clothes in our bedroom, but eventually it will be on the wall it leans against in the picture above.
Currently that is the little boys' room. But come fall, when Derek leaves for college, I'll move Trevor and Nolan over with Ethan.
Then...THEN will things be afoot!
It will start with scraping the ceiling and walls and painting everything...even the ugly dark brown floor. Out shall go the dressers painted in pastels for babies, now gone. Tractor pillows and yes, even Pooky Bear shall be banished.
Instead, a large overstuffed chair, the bed angled from a corner, a lamp and bookshelves. THE PICTURE hung on the wall. Other artists too shall enter, but they will not be allowed the same backdrop as THE PICTURE.
In name, a guest room, but basically it will be my little retreat. A place--other than the bathroom--where I can close the door and read in peace.
A place to have a quiet snore to myself.
After all, if a snore falls alone, is it even heard?
Tweet

The Progeny
1 Comments:
Goodwill is my favorite store. I miss it! I love hearing about your great finds :-)
That's so nice that you'll have a guest room/retreat. Don't know about you but I find the more mature (was going to say older but that sounded better) I become, the more I need some personal time and space -- or things can get ugly.
Did I just say ugly? I meant merely slightly unpleasant.
Post a Comment
<< Home