7 Days Down, 175 More to Go
Of school.
*sigh*
I was remiss a bit over the summer in not keeping Trevor reading aloud to me. Now he's lost some of his learned skills and I have to review. Again.
("Can't wait 'til the schooling's done...Can't wait 'til the schooling's done....)
Oh, SORRY about that. The feeling of never-ending drudgery will soon flee, I'm sure.
Here's a little snippet from Trevor, today.
We were going through some of his "special words," which are really sight words that he has to memorize.
He kept saying "off" for "of," last week, so I finally got that nailed down, I think.
Today he went through and said it right for the third (school) day in a row.
"Yay Trevor! You did it just right! Way to go!!"
(and other bits of lavish praise)
"So, do I get paid money?"
(laughter from other kids)
"uhhhh....no."
I'm hoping that typing the spelling words onto his computer will help. He has more of a tendency for reversing letters in word order than some of the others had, but not enough to warrant suspicions of dyslexia.
And today I noticed, while he was typing in new words this morning, that it wasn't as laborious. Trevor's observed the kids' hand positions when they practice Typing Tutor, and he's started positioning his hands properly and tapping in many of the letters without looking :-)
Another computer scientist in the making?
____________________
And now, a short poem describing how I feel about this time of year...
Tweet
*sigh*
I was remiss a bit over the summer in not keeping Trevor reading aloud to me. Now he's lost some of his learned skills and I have to review. Again.
("Can't wait 'til the schooling's done...Can't wait 'til the schooling's done....)
Oh, SORRY about that. The feeling of never-ending drudgery will soon flee, I'm sure.
Here's a little snippet from Trevor, today.
We were going through some of his "special words," which are really sight words that he has to memorize.
He kept saying "off" for "of," last week, so I finally got that nailed down, I think.
Today he went through and said it right for the third (school) day in a row.
"Yay Trevor! You did it just right! Way to go!!"
(and other bits of lavish praise)
"So, do I get paid money?"
(laughter from other kids)
"uhhhh....no."
I'm hoping that typing the spelling words onto his computer will help. He has more of a tendency for reversing letters in word order than some of the others had, but not enough to warrant suspicions of dyslexia.
And today I noticed, while he was typing in new words this morning, that it wasn't as laborious. Trevor's observed the kids' hand positions when they practice Typing Tutor, and he's started positioning his hands properly and tapping in many of the letters without looking :-)
Another computer scientist in the making?
____________________
And now, a short poem describing how I feel about this time of year...
Ma, Ma,
She don't like fall.
Too much stuff to do and all.
Schooling,
Mowing,
Gardening.
Everything has lost its zing.
Plants die.
Birds fly.
Mice creep back into the home,
Searching for the scattered crumbs, of which,
There are many.
Put the poison out,
If only
We could kill the torpor.
Tweet

The Progeny
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home