Out Ioway

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of Heaven and earth,
He will not let your foot slip-
He who watches over you will not slumber.
-Psalms 121:2,3

 
The ProgenyArdithSharonJasonDerek

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Christmas Storm Report - Day 1

Howdy folks! Ma Hoyt reporting, direct from the heartland of Iowa, nestled deep within the heartland of America.

The important thing here is that we have heart. Anyway, thought you might want an update on the ol' weather:

The temperature is 31 degrees, winds are at 20 mph and the barometer is at 29.63, having fallen slightly from last night. There are still fine bits of rain falling. Roads are not bad at all, discovered because...

...Loren had to take Derek in for his pro-time this morning. Kendra had glimpsed them traveling down the road in the great white van and I thought this was a LITTLE strange, particularly as Moby Dick had not started on Monday when we REALLY needed it. But I forgot this perplexity until Loren called from the clinic, "...oh, and I'm going to need someone to dig out my car. I got it stuck trying to get out of the drive and had to take the van..."

ARGH. We just dug that driveway out yesterday, but it blew shut overnight.

Ma got a crew together and despite the wind, we got 'er done!
(Carolyn, Jason, Ethan and Kendra)


I did help with the shoveling, but first, the ever important job of recording current weather conditions....
(nice job NOT focusing on the branch, Ma. Oh well, you can see the freezing drizzle had accumulated to around 1/2 inch)

An ice laden evergreen does a bit of shoveling


First broken branch...one on Mr. Lupkes' property.


Last summer's Rudbeckia stems, encased in the frozen stuff.


Preparing for potential power problems, I've put a batch of bread in the oven and cooked up hard-boiled eggs for Ethan's birthday dinner, tonight. I guess if we lose electricity and can't bake the lasagna or cake, we can always stick candles in the deviled eggs :-)

Stay tuned for more weather updates,

This is Ma Hoyt,

Roger and ou...
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home